Aurora Borealis/Northern Lights

The Blue said:
is it the radiation from the sun that reflects off the earths magnetic field that creates the northern lights?
Auroral displays are strongest at times of greatest Sunspot activity and resultin magnetic storms, the Auroras result from large-scale electrical discharge processes surroundin the Planet Earth and it is thought by many so-called Scientists that these discharges are powered by the electromotive force created by the interaction between the Solar wind and Earth's magnetic field.

The most common form of an Aurora is Luminous n' Curtainlike in formation extendin east-west and occur in the upper atmosphere of the North Pole as Aurora Borealis/Northen Lights and above the South Pole as Aurora Australis/Southern Lights that are occasionally visible from middle latitudes as dark red glows at times near the Poleward horizon.

...the Aurora Luminosity comes from the Excited/Ionize atoms and molecules, energetic electrons carryin the discharge currents ...these discharge currents are directed towards the Poles by the Earth's magnetic field and collide with and Excite/Ionize upper atmospheric atoms n' molecules.

When questionin the many colors seen one of the most viewed is Green which in effect is a reflection of energized oxygen atoms whereas oxygen molecules tend to glow between Red-Yellow dependin on amount of oxygen present, nitrogen atoms tend to emit a Purple ray whilst nitrogen molecules display a Pinkish ray.

The overall foldin effect comes from the electric field thats induced on either side of the Aurora Cutain by the electrons, North of the Curtain the field is actually directed Southward ...whilst on the Southside its directed Northward thus this causes the Ionized air on either side to flow rapidly in opposite directions producin whirlwind folds in the Curtain !

So, in the main Auroral activity seems to be controlled by solar activity through the Earth's magnetic field n' the speed of the solar wind, a gusty solar wind generated by solar flares often enhances the Auroral discharge thus causin the 'oval belt' of the Aurora to spread over a larger area.

At times of a decline in sunspot periods a fairly intense Beam of solar winds can blow out from a normally quiet region of the Sun and last from a few months to two years.

Since the Sun rotates in a period of about 27 days, its likewise the Beam also hits the Earth at 27 day intervals causin the 27 day reoccurrence of Auroral activity and it is this that has pronounced seasonal variation reachin a maximum during the months of March n' September the time of the Equinoxes.

During solar flares induced and recurrent geomagnetic storms Auroral activity is not continuous ...instead it repeats a Quasi' cyclic display that last for only a few hours, a typical sub storm begins with a sudden brightenin of an Auroral Curtain in the midnight section, the brighten curtain moves suddenly forward and Auroral activity subsequently spreads Westward and Eastward.

In typical OFF TOPIC mode wot i've wrote aint even the half (yes i see you Mr. LiteYear) ;-)

...whilst it does in the main give part of the math' in regards Aurora Borealis, there are indeed many factors that don't go all the way in explainin the full math' of Aurora Australis/Southern Lights !!!

black mamba said:
The Blue said:
is it the radiation from the sun that reflects off the earths magnetic field that creates the northern lights?

Pretty much so 'Blue'!

The liquid iron core present at the interior of our earth has created a magnetic field around it.
...like an inner central SUN bit like that big one 93 million miles aways but closer to home and reflectin light from and upon the waters !!!

black mamba said:
Fantastic ..... Northern Lights.

29kwe9l.jpg
2agnpg4.jpg

2liiro5.jpg
2qjiv5w.jpg

rc55hc.jpg
212ic0w.jpg
qx3rli.jpg

2qk07ja.jpg
wvzeic.jpg

Hopefully one day I will get to see this truly awesome display, and by the way lovely photo's...............

The Pink Panther said:
Yeah I've seen em. Took the kids to Finnish Lapland just inside the Arctic Circle. Stashed the kids with the elves and me and the missus went on a skidoo trip. We stopped in the middle of a forest where it was pitch black, there was absolutely no artificial light and it was deathly silent and everyone just got off their skidoos and just stood staring up into the sky watching the aurora borealis constantly changing and moving. It was a fantastic green and white colour.

One of the Finnish guides commented that he never gets bored looking at it and everyday he's amazed by it.

Don't see how it's not going to cost you a small fortune - I'd say a minimum of £600 for a 2 day trip.

Me and the wife did one of those trips a few years ago and it was fantasic. The lights are one of natures wonders and need to be seen to be believed.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9034439/Pictured-breathtaking-Northern-Lights-shining-across-Britain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/spac ... itain.html</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.