Australian A League

Wheelsy said:
Damocles said:
Cool, I seem to remember Stan Lazaridis going back there too a while back. What's the standard like compared to England? Championship/League One ish?
Put it this way, we'd lose to Gold Coast in a Carling Cup match... yeah decent League One I think.

That could mean a pub team though to be fair.

Think it varies from League 1 to Championship standard, although due to the climate it's fair to say that the intensity of games over here generally doesn't compare with those leagues.

R.e. Allsopp: Much maligned in his first season (3 goals in 20-odd games) he's put away a fair few since then. Does have a touch of the lumbering about him at times, but he's a reasonable finisher and has been a pretty good servant for Melbourne. Though by the sounds of rumours emerging yesterday could be heading to Saudi Arabia for a big payday!

Tiatto: Has collected cards, both yellow and red like they're going out of fashion in his 2 and bit years stint in the A-League, his stock in trade being the two-foot studs-up variety! Retiring at seasons end.

Colosimo's been blighted by injury of late; it's fair to say that City didn't see the best of him due in injury - in particular a cruciate ligament injury sustained in a challenge with Andy Cole in 1999.

Greenacre's made a pretty bright start so far; a couple of goals in the first four matches, the second of which a great header.

The A-League standard in general has improved markedly over the course of its 4 + years existence, whilst crowds have dipped at the moment it's hoped they'll pick up once the other football codes' seasons are completed. Things could get interesting when the current TV deal expires in 2012 (?) given that it should hopefully be a significant increase - an influx of cash the game could do with.

75181453538662486008212.jpg

Here's an idea, don't act like fucking children and you will be left alone.

On the plane at 10am tomorrow for the trip up to the Gold Coast, should be a cracking game.

Nicky D said:
Think it varies from League 1 to Championship standard, although due to the climate it's fair to say that the intensity of games over here generally doesn't compare with those leagues.

Depends on the teams too, the shit teams drag you down to their level and beat you with experience (CCM, Jets) but when you get two teams who like to play football it can turn out to be a really good game.

rhysmcfc said:
Nicky D said:

Depends on the teams too, the shit teams drag you down to their level and beat you with experience (CCM, Jets) but when you get two teams who like to play football it can turn out to be a really good game.

I dunno if that charge can be levelled at the Jets, but that was certainly the case when we played the Mariners, and when they played you guys.

Just as a side note though mate, I understand what you mean about banners like the one in that photo, but can we just leave out the petty Melbourne/Sydney banter on this site? I (and other MV fans on here) don't resort to that kind of name calling (that stupid scum nickname, Shitney) so it'd be nice we were referred to without the tiresome and incorrect 'tards' epithet. Besides, I actually don't mind Sydney as a club - it's good to see them back into form so far this season. The league is so much better when the big guns and big-drawers are firing.

In regards to the standard fellas, this is what Paul Ifill said in a recent interview and it seems to sum up the standard quite well i reckon

Paul Ifill said:
The 29-year-old said he had rarely played in a league in which the player quality could vary so much between individuals within each team. ''I would say that overall the standard is a bit like League One, but you have some players who could easily play in the Championship, maybe even the Premiership, and others who would be at League Two or the Conference. I suppose it's because the league is still quite new after only five years and is still sorting out its level. It will take more time.

''I have been impressed by some of the youngsters I have seen in the short time I have been here though, and if they make the move at the right time and get the right luck they could easily play overseas. We have a young boy at Wellington who has been injured but who has trained with the first team, a boy called Marco Rojas, who has great ability. Koffi Danning at Sydney looks like he has a real future, while Jason Hoffman at Newcastle did well against us when he scored twice.''

Aussie Blue said:
In regards to the standard fellas, this is what Paul Ifill said in a recent interview and it seems to sum up the standard quite well i reckon

Paul Ifill said:
The 29-year-old said he had rarely played in a league in which the player quality could vary so much between individuals within each team. ''I would say that overall the standard is a bit like League One, but you have some players who could easily play in the Championship, maybe even the Premiership, and others who would be at League Two or the Conference. I suppose it's because the league is still quite new after only five years and is still sorting out its level. It will take more time.

''I have been impressed by some of the youngsters I have seen in the short time I have been here though, and if they make the move at the right time and get the right luck they could easily play overseas. We have a young boy at Wellington who has been injured but who has trained with the first team, a boy called Marco Rojas, who has great ability. Koffi Danning at Sydney looks like he has a real future, while Jason Hoffman at Newcastle did well against us when he scored twice.''

Yeah I definitely agree with this, we need to weed out the players who are at League 2 and Conference level, and hopefully one day the standard will approach that of the Championship on a consistent basis.

Team W D L
P PTS
1 Gold Coast United 4 1 3
8 13
2 Perth Glory FC 4 1 3
8 13
3 Sydney FC 4 1 3
8 13
4 Central Coast Mariners FC 3 3 2
8 12
5 Brisbane Roar FC 3 3 2
8 12
6 Melbourne Victory FC 3 3 2
8 12
7 Adelaide United FC 3 2 3
8 11
8 Wellington Phoenix FC 1 5 2
8 8
9 Newcastle Jets FC 2 2 4
8 8
10 North Queensland Fury 1 3 4
8 6

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.