Autism

One of the most interesting people who is considered knowledgeable in this area is Temple Grandin. She does talks and interviews and the film that was made about her really helped me understand autism better than I did. Her talks are up on youtube and as she is autistic herself her ability to educate others is very powerful. Here is a clip..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJc6HkP8fc[/youtube]

Essembe said:
One of the most interesting people who is considered knowledgeable in this area is Temple Grandin. She does talks and interviews and the film that was made about her really helped me understand autism better than I did. Her talks are up on youtube and as she is autistic herself her ability to educate others is very powerful. Here is a clip..

Watched the film that was made about her, very interesting and intelligent woman.

citymacc said:
Essembe said:

Watched the film that was made about her, very interesting and intelligent woman.

Yes, I thought so too. Hopefully, stories like hers will give you some encouragement and strength.

Best of luck to you and your boy!

Essembe said:
citymacc said:
Essembe said:

Yes, I thought so too. Hopefully, stories like hers will give you some encouragement and strength.

Best of luck to you and your boy!

Thanks mate :-)

Until we understand Autism especially the high functioning types savantism etc, we will never fully understand the potential of the brain. My step daughter has aspergers, unfortunately for us she slipped through the school system unnoticed, and it wasn't untill she was 19 that a diagnosis was made by the Sheffield Aspergers service. By this point the chances of any effecive and focused support and therapy had gone so we are left with some benefits, some dla, a free bus pass and a cinema pass! We have had to fight tooth and nail for Any help, massive depression has kicked in so she takes a large amount of sertriline 150 mls, and a small amount of anti psychotic risperidone. She has put on around 5 stone and spends most of her time sleeping, eating or falling out with the few friends she has.

My only advice is take ANY help you can before your Kid is 18 cos after that there is NOTHING.

Good luck. I only pray that actual meaningful research will be done and the reasons for the massive rise in this condition are subjectively looked into.

Personally I smell a cover up.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm --<br /><br />Until we understand Autism especially the high functioning types savantism etc, we will never fully understand the potential of the brain. My step daughter has aspergers, unfortunately for us she slipped through the school system unnoticed, and it wasn't untill she was 19 that a diagnosis was made by the Sheffield Aspergers service. By this point the chances of any effecive and focused support and therapy had gone so we are left with some benefits, some dla, a free bus pass and a cinema pass! We have had to fight tooth and nail for Any help, massive depression has kicked in so she takes a large amount of sertriline 150 mls, and a small amount of anti psychotic risperidone. She has put on around 5 stone and spends most of her time sleeping, eating or falling out with the few friends she has.

My only advice is take ANY help you can before your Kid is 18 cos after that there is NOTHING.

Good luck. I only pray that actual meaningful research will be done and the reasons for the massive rise in this condition are subjectively looked into.

Personally I smell a cover up.

citymacc said:
Essembe said:

I was thinking of watching it, but if that's the end of the film it kind of spoils it.
It's a bit like describing The Sixth sense as a film about Bruce Willis as a ghost.

brass neck said:
Until we understand Autism especially the high functioning types savantism etc, we will never fully understand the potential of the brain. My step daughter has aspergers, unfortunately for us she slipped through the school system unnoticed, and it wasn't untill she was 19 that a diagnosis was made by the Sheffield Aspergers service. By this point the chances of any effecive and focused support and therapy had gone so we are left with some benefits, some dla, a free bus pass and a cinema pass! We have had to fight tooth and nail for Any help, massive depression has kicked in so she takes a large amount of sertriline 150 mls, and a small amount of anti psychotic risperidone. She has put on around 5 stone and spends most of her time sleeping, eating or falling out with the few friends she has.

-- Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm --

Risperadone (however small) will accelerate the weight gain when combined with sertralline, zyprexa, depending on her subtype and due to her age, is a much easier drug to manage the behaviours you speak of

has she been prescribed this or Fluoxetine before???

No, any requests for different meds is quashed by them. I've never been happy standing still when things obviously are not resolved, they on the other hand seem to consider the fact she isn't going off her head and having to be restrained by the police once a month a substantial step in the right direction. What annoys me is there doesn't seem to be the resources or will to spend some time with her getting to the bottom of her depression. She has a low iq, just short of special needs so they thing that rules out the effectiveness of talking therapys . It's very frustrating cos as carers, you feel very alone with know vision of getting her independent and a life of dealing with what we deal with everyday for the rest of our lives doesn't fill us with glee .

The lack of quantity mental health services in our extremely rich nation, is laughably poor. Apparently the long term future for depression is going to be a Ketamine derivative, I'll hold out for that probably!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.