Away from home after every Champions League game

skillman said:
Away at Scum and Chelsea afterwards are the standout kicks in the bollocks but I'm guessing by that time we'll have strength in depth for the squad. Still a bit annoying/coincidental that we play away after every group stage game.

One consolation is that three of those away matches are against teams that are also playing in Europe and in Fulham’s case their game will be on Thursday.

And we don’t know yet which of our CL game’s will be at home. The same for our opposition, don’t think Fergie will like an away CL match on Wednesday just before they play us.

The draw has marginally weakened our league prospects and marginally improved our CL prospects.

I dont think Utd or Chelsea will be too happy playing us after a CL match. They would be looking to play a high tempo game and take the game to us, we'll be looking to defend and catch them on the break. If both teams are tired, doesn't that slightly favour us?

Shouldn't matter if we buy the right players and have plenty of cover in every position.

phuzion said:
Thats one way to look at it, another would be to say our CL games are also on the back end of home games. Home games that we should be winning:

Wigan
Everton
Villa
Wolves
Newcastle
Norwich

So the boys should be confident and spirits hopefully high, resulting in hopefully last 16 of the CL at least...I know Id rather play Barca on the back of smahing Norwich 4-0 than losing away to Chelsea...

This is about the BEST thing that could happen.

1) 1/2 of the CL games will be at home !
2) Playing in the CL after what should be 'easier' home games, we can rest players

I'm in the "CUP HALF FULL" on this one :D

bennyblue said:
might as well pack the game in

pessimism-murphys-law-restated-demotivational-poster-1255717014.jpg

jjeangi said:
bluesmith said:
Being a bit sad I've just worked out what the difference was last season of playing away after a champions league game.

The top 4 got 13 points out of 36 in the away games
The top 4 got 31 points out of 36 in the Home games

It worked out that with away games, teams dropped about 2.5 points on the season average and if playing a home game they actually gain 2.5 points on the season average, So if that trend follows united will gain 5 points on us. effectively a 10 point swing if we'd got the home games and them away. That could well be the difference between winning the league and not.

It is clearly a benefit to be at home after a champions league game.
Thinking a bit too hard there?
No. Wenger and Fergie have kicked off about this in the past. We're handicapped already. I am surprised that City accepted this. Clubs have the chance to challenge fixtures, and the League fixtures have worked out badly too with potential bottom 6 clubs to play in the run-in - the worst time to play them.

Blue Haze said:
Wait, so we play away after every group stage match, and scum play at home after every group stage match? WTF???

And, when we are at home BEFORE CL games, Scum have to travel away !

It tends to be that way, when we're at home they're away ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.