Away Games - your memories

Hamburg pre season and Hamburg uefa cup. not really away games for me so I have never been to an away game.

black mamba said:
I attended practically every away game from 1970 (ish) ... to the mid nineties

and it wasn't easy with hooligans runnin' amok everywhere , i can tell you ....... and i was at the Swamp back in 1974 when Law scored that backheel too.

Sadly these days i can only make the home games ..... plus the odd away , if it's on the 'doorstep'.

I started going away regularly in 1974, I still make most aways but it's getting to be an effort now with all the travelling, as well as being bloody expensive. Yeah the hooligan thing could be a sod although at most matches if you used a bit of common sense it wasn't too difficult to keep out of harms way. Oddly enough a lot of the matches I remember more clearly are those midweek trips where we didn't take too many fans.

Halifax is still my worst experience as a City fan, not even relegation to the 3rd division can top that fucking humiliation by a bunch of journeymen who finished up near the bottom of Div.4 that season.

Newcastle away, last game of the season... May 1968......4-3

Clinching the first division championship.

It seemed like half of Manchester was there that day...

The ground was a sea of blue and white.

Unforgetable.

I went to a lot of away games when I was younger but can't go to them yet..in a few years when I'm older I'll be going to away games.
I remember going to Chesterfield one year, think I went to York too. I remember going to Sheffield United when Michael Brown scored for them; I briefly remember that there was trouble as city fans tried getting in the Sheffield end.
Most of all...I remember Wembley in 1999, was only 5 at the time but will remember it for a VERY long time! 1 of my favourite ever games if I'm honest :)

loved schalke away last season. went on the coach and it was a long journey but was worth it. ended up in a schlake supporters club. everyone was swapping shrts, chanting each others songs and buying drinks all round. love schalke ever since. plus veltins beers is beautiful.

also i went to birmingham away midweek when we lost. i wasnt wearing any socks because i was in a rush. the car broke down on the way home and we didnt get back till about half 5 in the morning.

getting nicked at villa on the pitch in the cup was a bad memory. never been so wasted in my life. was 16 years old and i still had a bit of learning to do. puked up all the way home.

wembley is just a blur to be honest.

theres my life story.

80s-90s When you went away and sometimes feared for you life. When got home in one piece, you wanted to do it all again.

Last years trips to Germany were brilliant good support and good beer. I cant wait for Europe next year. It beats playing Mac and Bury all day long.

For some reason, the away game that looms biggest for me was the game at Notts County in about 86... if we'd won, we'd have been promoted and County were pretty crap... our fans were packed like sardines while only bout half the rest of the place was filled. We were singing hearts out throughout the pregame in the sunshine..... Fashnu (I think they just signed him) or whoever scored 3 in like the first 10 minutes and we were buried but we kept singing and singing... then at halftime the fence holding us in burst and we spilled onto pitch in good humour, only for the mounted police to be mobilized and it got reported like we were rioting. I had a cracking night out in Nottingham. We got promoted the next week or so. For some reason, that whole experience just sticks in my memory.

I've probably seen more away games than home games. I've always been really proud at the spirit and humour of our fans at away games. I could have done without the aggro in the early 80s.

AustinBlue said:
For some reason, the away game that looms biggest for me was the game at Notts County in about 86... if we'd won, we'd have been promoted and County were pretty crap... our fans were packed like sardines while only bout half the rest of the place was filled. We were singing hearts out throughout the pregame in the sunshine..... Fashnu (I think they just signed him) or whoever scored 3 in like the first 10 minutes and we were buried but we kept singing and singing... then at halftime the fence holding us in burst and we spilled onto pitch in good humour, only for the mounted police to be mobilized and it got reported like we were rioting. I had a cracking night out in Nottingham. We got promoted the next week or so. For some reason, that whole experience just sticks in my memory.

I've probably seen more away games than home games. I've always been really proud at the spirit and humour of our fans at away games. I could have done without the aggro in the early 80s.

I remember that game at Notts County well ...... i was on that terrace behind the goal ..... there was said to be 13,000 city fans there that day!

However an FA Cup game in the same city .... at Forest in 1973 , was an absolute nightmare ........ we got hammered on the pitch and got no end of trouble off it!

black mamba said:
You should have been on our nightmare trip to Halifax in 1980 (ish) ........

i think i was stood in cowdung or horseshit for ninety minutes!

and got sprayed with it when the ball hit the track round the pitch...and it started raining after they scored..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.