Away goals to be scrapped in the CL?

Do you not remember european football before this rule? 1-0 was a thrashing.
That was back when it was impossible to scout teams and the facilities and grounds were totally different so away teams used extreme caution to combat that in the away leg.

That was back when it was impossible to scout teams and the facilities and grounds were totally different so away teams used extreme caution to combat that in the away leg.

I disagree with that. The CL is/was made up of mostly decent hardworking teams who don't have a chance against top sides in an flowing open game, they all look to master the art of sitting back and poaching goals or getting a 0-0 and fighting on, especially away. The Italians always did this and most smaller teams would also adopt this approach irrespective of who they played, it was a mentality that you could go a long way with attritional defensive football. The away goals rule was a game changer. An incentive for many of these clubs to attack each other.

I disagree with that. The CL is/was made up of mostly decent hardworking teams who don't have a chance against top sides in an flowing open game, they all look to master the art of sitting back and poaching goals or getting a 0-0 and fighting on, especially away. The Italians always did this and most smaller teams would also adopt this approach irrespective of who they played, it was a mentality that you could go a long way with attritional defensive football. The away goals rule was a game changer. An incentive for many of these clubs to attack each other.
Seeing as the away goals rule only comes in at the round of 16 and the group weeds out the small teams (and qualifying weeds out the minnows), none of that applies now anyway.

But I still stick by my above reasoning as per Wilson’s analysis of why the were brought in.

It was also an incentive for home teams to play more defensively, especially in the first leg and it's killed off as many ties as it's kept alive.

Home and away games should be scrapped and replaced by 1 off games at a neutral venue, like the game against shalke play in holland or france at a suitably sized venue.
One off games, like finals, are far better at deciding who is the best team, and is how the game picks its winner in the end at all cup competitions. Why leave it to the end, do it in all rounds.

Home and away games should be scrapped and replaced by 1 off games at a neutral venue, like the game against shalke play in holland or france at a suitably sized venue.
One off games, like finals, are far better at deciding who is the best team, and is how the game picks its winner in the end at all cup competitions. Why leave it to the end, do it in all rounds.
Money, Money, Money - it's a rich mans world.

From Wiki

The away goals rule was first applied in the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup when Budapest Honvéd beat Dukla Prague in the second round in 1965–66. It was introduced in the Fairs Cup in 1966–67, and in the European Cup in 1967–68 for the first round, 1968–69 for the second round, and 1970–71 for later rounds.

I stand corrected.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.