Away Support

For me it definitely an age thing.

The 1999 second dividion season stands out for me, 6 k to Port Vale, 5 and a half thousand to Tranmere etc. Those years the crowds were supported by youngs lad with no responsibility, who only had to worry about a night out and to pay for football tickets. The age demographic of the away fan was much younger.

Its been commented upon but when you go away we dont have the number of young fans that say an Everton, Newcastle etc have following them. Years of little success and the influence of Sky have robbed us of a generation of young supporters.

It comes in cycles so hopefully the numbers will come back, but when you consider Bolton first away game only just sold out, its a long way from even our second division days. Still we have very good support but were not the very best we used to be.

We'll see at fulham on Sunday!

Our end sold out, but they have a neutral end next to it where you can buy tickets so let's see!!

Not on tv either, I'm expecting a lot to travel to this game,

I know when ushited,Liverpool and even ever ton play there that is always full of away support!

Between the age of 20-30, I never missed a match home or away, even went to Italy on a pre-season tour for two weeks. Over the last 10 years, I've probably averaged 10-12 away games a season.

I'm 43 now with a 6 month old baby daughter and I'll probably get to three away games this season in the league due to the financial burden on my family (been to Bolton, got my ticket for Blackburn and will go to Wigan).

I miss the good old days...league cup trips to Torquay mid-week, Luton away on the plastic pitch and supposedly when no away fans were allowed (until Quinny scored and everyone behind the goal went ballistic!)... but my family now comes first!!

SharstonBlue said:
Between the age of 20-30, I never missed a match home or away, even went to Italy on a pre-season tour for two weeks. Over the last 10 years, I've probably averaged 10-12 away games a season.

I'm 43 now with a 6 month old baby daughter and I'll probably get to three away games this season in the league due to the financial burden on my family (been to Bolton, got my ticket for Blackburn and will go to Wigan).

I miss the good old days...league cup trips to Torquay mid-week, Luton away on the plastic pitch and supposedly when no away fans were allowed (until Quinny scored and everyone behind the goal went ballistic!)... but my family now comes first!!
Ha,ha,ha I was in that end at Luton that day! Funny as..

I'm 23 almost 24 and have been going regularly away since I was 18.

I think it's got better over the past year or so. I wasn't there to witness the 'younger' fans in the 80's/90's, so I can only comment on recent years.

Without patting myself on the back too much, I think our supporters branch has done well to try and gather a lot of the younger hardcore together.

A lot of the younger, more vocal fans can only really afford to go to the local ones, hence why Blackburn, Wigan and Bolton are always big days out. It's the London games where we struggle because of the distance and price, but Spurs was good the other week and West Ham and Fulham were two of the better ones last season.

How I rate our away support... well, it's quite similar to our home support. Sometimes brilliant, but sometimes can do a lot better.

And so you know, it's not just a City thing. My best mate goes home and away with Chelsea and he is envious at me having so many friends in my generation. He wrote a blog about it recently if anyone fancies a read: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2011/09/is-the-long-term-character-of-chelseas-support-at-risk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2 ... t-at-risk/</a>

Anyone any idea why our away support seems to have suffered possibly more than some of the other 'bigger' club? A less affluent fan base? A prolongued lack of any measure of success, very recent times excluded?

fy6blue said:
Anyone any idea why our away support seems to have suffered possibly more than some of the other 'bigger' club? A less affluent fan base? A prolongued lack of any measure of success, very recent times excluded?

chelski and arse have had the wrose was in paper somewhere chelski -3.5% less support or something to that nature we had one of the best :)

WNRH said:
In terms of numbers

1. Rags
2. Liverpool
3. Sunderland
4. Everton
5. Newcastle
6. Sunderland
7. Chelsea
8. Spurs
9. City

In terms of atmosphere.

1. Rags
2. City
3. The rest
Utterly deluded to be honest, especially when if you ask any mackem they'd admit our away support is bigger than theirs. Man Utd and our away support used to be brilliant but even ours is on the wain although we were class yesterday, Villa fans said it was the best away support since Man Utd's pitch invasion.

Only a few games into the season and already I have racked up:

2 x 520 SC £1040
Parking SC £150.00
4 X 25 Blue Membersship £100.00
2 x Lge Home x 40 Petrol £80.00
1 X 40 Petrol CL game £40.00
3 Programmes £9.00
5 x CL TICKETS £145.00
5 X CC Tickets £75.00
+ Petrol £40.00

add about £100.00 for Fish & Chips and a pint and already I am £1800.00 spent and thats with out even getting to an away game yet. I would love to get to all the aways like I use to but there is just no way when every home game is a 200 mile trip. Fuel is one of the main reasons now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.