Away Support

Abbeygoo said:
The average age of the City fan is about 40, if you believe the stats and certainly what you have posted rings true with me and my City-going mates.

The average age of a match attending fan is 46 so City aren't as "older" as other Clubs. Hopefully the reasonably priced Seasoncards for Kids will help inspire a future generation. I'm 31 and barely know anyone my own age who goes.

It's simple really cost, kick-off times and TV coverage. Plus, support has also dwindled due to lack of success. If the rags went 35 years without winning anything, they wouldn't be able to quarter fill the swamp. Most of the rag fans today are glory hunters, because the ones I know who used to go, don't anymore. It's all the knobs who think they are successful so follow a 'club that wins things'. They'll soon drop off if it dries up and the ones that stopped going wont return.

craigsteel said:
The biggest factors are cost and the availiability of games on satellite tv, many will have five pints in a boozer and watch game for £20, go to london on train £55,ticket £55,food£10,ale £20 Day out £140, effectively we are paying £120 extra to be there and at present many dont have that cash,three times a month.

I remember in the 80/90s we had a much bigger travelling support but the costs were effectively much smaller and many lads went in big groups,they cant afford it now, the profile of the fan attending matches changed after the Taylor Report, effectively the report reduce the number of lads who went to games and made the support of most clubs more middle class than working class, you had to be to afford the prices. The characters attending the games went.
The lads who used to beg,steal and borrow to be everywhere we played were top guys, There were the buses like Mayne Line, Denton, Star Bar Glossop that were wild etc, It was football,ale,wacky backy,poppers and a top day out with no social responsability,it was pure heaven for many. All seater stadiums and the ticketing hassle started the decline and cost requirements have finally screwed many of these guys. Away trips were what many lads lived and worked all week to do, Many of the young lads from then now have families to support. Fair play to lads like Chelt and Glouc,Reddish etc who still go week in week out but times have changed for many.
I still go to all aways games and must admit I preferred the old days but football has changed and will never ever be the same again. We will never again have support we used to have at away games,the game has changed. The JCL type will never know and understand City like lads who followed City everywhere in the 80/90s.
If you were there I need not explain what I mean, If you were not you will never know how much City means to Lads who were.True Blues.

Top Post late 80s were great years trouble is most of the guys around then
are to old now and we dont have a big youth cult following.

I could never see the away games of the presnt being anything like they used to be back in the day the powers that be would not allow it.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s you could decide at the last minute if you were going or not, get your ticket for the footy special on the saturday morning from which ever station the train was going from, tickets were never expensive, grab a lift from one of the lads, share the cost of petrol, was not as dear as today, use national express or hitch it then just pay in to ground when you got their. always in our thousands, seeing the same faces, great banter, none of this p.c shit. Standing on the terraces,yes a bit of bother sometimes, no cctv cameras filming your every move, no men in orange jackets telling you to sit down and do as your told, we were free to do what we wanted, go were and when we wanted say and sing what we wanted and not be controlled.

I know thats why I stopped going away and know a fair few more who think the same, its just not the same any more. Some of the older posters may probably agree but you younger ones will never have that experience of a proper away game ever and thats a shame.

Speaking from experience you definitely take one of the biggest followings in the division away from home, but you're usually quite quiet, at least you have been for the last 2-3 years anyway.

Francis Rizzo said:
spacecadet said:
Numbers are less than in the 80-90s due to cost and the pain in the arse of buying tickets.

Correct my man.

Do you mean buying tickets in general (far easier with the internet and cup schemes) or paying on the turnstile instead of the present system? I'm reading things about Blues having huge problems getting through on the phones or booking online for tonight. Some haven't bothered to persevere.

steve peel said:
craigsteel said:
The biggest factors are cost and the availiability of games on satellite tv, many will have five pints in a boozer and watch game for £20, go to london on train £55,ticket £55,food£10,ale £20 Day out £140, effectively we are paying £120 extra to be there and at present many dont have that cash,three times a month.

I remember in the 80/90s we had a much bigger travelling support but the costs were effectively much smaller and many lads went in big groups,they cant afford it now, the profile of the fan attending matches changed after the Taylor Report, effectively the report reduce the number of lads who went to games and made the support of most clubs more middle class than working class, you had to be to afford the prices. The characters attending the games went.
The lads who used to beg,steal and borrow to be everywhere we played were top guys, There were the buses like Mayne Line, Denton, Star Bar Glossop that were wild etc, It was football,ale,wacky backy,poppers and a top day out with no social responsability,it was pure heaven for many. All seater stadiums and the ticketing hassle started the decline and cost requirements have finally screwed many of these guys. Away trips were what many lads lived and worked all week to do, Many of the young lads from then now have families to support. Fair play to lads like Chelt and Glouc,Reddish etc who still go week in week out but times have changed for many.
I still go to all aways games and must admit I preferred the old days but football has changed and will never ever be the same again. We will never again have support we used to have at away games,the game has changed. The JCL type will never know and understand City like lads who followed City everywhere in the 80/90s.
If you were there I need not explain what I mean, If you were not you will never know how much City means to Lads who were.True Blues.

Top Post late 80s were great years trouble is most of the guys around then
are to old now and we dont have a big youth cult following.

bollox

Totally agree with most posts on here. I used to go regular with the Droylsden branch from the late 90's up until a couple of season's ago. There was many a time a couple of 52 seater coaches going from there and slowly over time it has dwindled down just a 12 seater minibus.

I may be getting older but the whole away match experience seems to have changed. Seemed to be mayhem in the 90's and not so long ago with every man and his dog p**sed as farts having a good laugh and taking over towns. (Still may go on now and again but most fans have to pick and choose games rather than going every wkend) The cost and TV has had a massive effect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.