Aymeric Laporte - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see him play passes like that I wonder whether he wouldn't be the better option at the base of midfield than Stones...?

When I see him play passes like that I wonder whether he wouldn't be the better option at the base of midfield than Stones...?
He might be, but I think there are a couple of reasons why he isn't. For one I think because he's left footed his build up play is needed on the left side of the central defence. Pep talks about this with his full backs as well. The other reason is that if say you put Otamendi in his place at CB and put Laporte at DM then defensively we will suffer. Laporte has proven vital at breaking up counter attacks. Opposition target our LB especially if Zinchenko plays. Many times we have seen Laporte shift over and clean up when ball are played in the channel over our LB. Otamendi isn't quick enough and is rash. Maybe against lesser opposition you could get away with it, but Laporte is irreplaceable in that position in big games. However since he plays so many games he needs a rest time to time so more obvious to have Stones in midfield in lesser games.

An absolute rock at the back (sorry John).

Making a case for one of the best defenders in the world with each passing match.

Played well today, save for a couple of poor passes forward, but I suppose when the midfielder is as ineffective as it was today, he cannot be held entirely responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.