#14 | Aymeric Laporte - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of our right backs are playing their best football they’ve played for the club, but left back is still an issue.

I’d play Laporte at left back. He’s played there before, very well as well (Liverpool at home two years ago he was excellent!).

Walker/Cancelo———Stones———Dias———Laporte

Walker and Cancelo can get forward and Laporte can hold back.

This would also be a good line-up for Fernandinho in midfield.
I'm not sure how I feel about Laporte at left back. I would say though that I find it no more ridiculous than suggesting Aké play there, and he seems to be quite a common pick round these parts!

I’ve no idea what’s happening with Laporte, whether he’s injured or whether rumours of a bust up are true but we cannot afford to lose him.

We now have the best group of centre halves I can ever remember and he will thrive at another club.

He has to accept that he isn’t a starter at the moment and knuckle down but pep also needs to give him a chance of playing back in to form in the cup games

Okay, calm down ... I'm not missing any point or saying he should be "artificially re-inserted". Just stating my opinion he shouldn't be sold and it's a good thing to have multiple CBs to be confident it.
Apologise. I was responding to a group of posts not just yours. Didn't mean to sound like I was talking to just you :)

I'm not sure how I feel about Laporte at left back. I would say though that I find it no more ridiculous than suggesting Aké play there, and he seems to be quite a common pick round these parts.
In fairness, Ake plays is a unique case. He plays often at leftback when he plays for Holland. And I believe he got a few games there at Chelsea and on loan. While he was mostly a Centerback at Bournemouth, he is no stranger to the LB position.

And when asked he himself fancies himself a Defensive Midfielder and considers DM his preferred position. So he is truly the definition of utility player.

And I'm a big fan. Looking like Ruud Gullit doesn't hurt either. :)

In fairness, Ake plays is a unique case. He plays often at leftback when he plays for Holland. And I believe he got a few games there at Chelsea and on loan. While he was mostly a Centerback at Bournemouth, he is no stranger to the LB position.

And when asked he himself fancies himself a Defensive Midfielder and considers DM his preferred position. So he is truly the definition of utility player.

And I'm a big fan. Looking like Ruud Gullit doesn't hurt either. :)
That's definitely worth considering. But if you can look past Laporte arguably being too large for LB he's got better passing and crossing technique than Aké from what I've seen, and is better in progression.

I'll leave it there though as I don't want to get into a big long discussion and I never really intended to create a debate. Aké is definitely more mobile and it's clear that the club see him as a viable option there and not Laporte, so I'm satisfied.

And yes, looking like Gullit can only be a good thing. It worked for Zinchenko with De Bruyne!

That's definitely worth considering. But if you can look past Laporte arguably being too large for LB he's got better passing and crossing technique than Aké from what I've seen, and is better in progression.

I'll leave it there though as I don't want to get into a big long discussion and I never really intended to create a debate. Aké is definitely more mobile and it's clear that the club see him as a viable option there and not Laporte, so I'm satisfied.

And yes, looking like Gullit can only be a good thing. It worked for Zinchenko with De Bruyne!
BTW, I wasn't suggesting he was better or preferable to Laporte at leftback. Just that he was no stranger to the position and was a true utility player. I think either would be great. I see botht as defensive LB to be fair. And expect the right back to be constantly joining the attack while the LB form a defensive 3. So either would work for me.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting he was better or preferable to Laporte at leftback. Just that he was no stranger to the position and was a true utility player. I think either would be great. I see botht as defensive LB to be fair. And expect the right back to be constantly joining the attack while the LB form a defensive 3. So either would work for me.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't implying you were making the case for Aké over Laporte. I understood you were just trying to make the case for Aké, which was called for because my original post could easily have been inferred to mean I was knocking Aké (which I wasn't)

That's why I didn't want a debate.
:)

Apologise. I was responding to a group of posts not just yours. Didn't mean to sound like I was talking to just you :)
No worries Dax, I definitely reacted too harshly so my apologies as well. I do agree with the points you are making!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.