Ayres Rock (Uluru).....Australia

I climbed it in 93 after partying until around 3.30 am, coach left at 5am from the nearby resort suffice to say it was the worst 2 hours of my life. If it wasn't for an old woman feeling sorry for me and giving me some water I wouldn't have made it, its not even a difficult climb its gradual.... fecking great 6 Month's in Oz land that was.

Who owned it before the aboriginals turned up and decided it was theirs?

I expect the 99% of Australian animals that were wiped out by the aboriginal population would like a say as to aboriginal claims to the land.

It was there when they arrived. It will be there when they go.

Fleas arguing over which part of the dog they're on they own.
The ‘right on’ crowd arguing in favour of the downtrodden

Sorry, I’m a radical on this one and my world view never impinges on anyone else or how they can live their lives. Same can’t be said for religion. And this thread is an extension of it.

Chippy says they’ve been there 50,000 years but they haven’t, they, the people there now, have been around for as long as any of us have been around in this life time. No one can lay claim to the earth or demand they’re special because their ancestors were there or we’d all lay claim to the East African Rift Valley.

But if he wants to pontificate about ‘modern society’ then he should remember that people have been walking up there the last two centuries, it’s actually ‘modern society’ that put a stop to it and if it’s something he feels evidently quite so strongly about, then I’m surprised I’d not seen him on here discussing his feelings towards it prior to the climbing ban and expressing how it was awful that no ban was in place.

I’m sorry too because I’m nowhere near you on this one.

It’s strange how arbitrarily we draw the lines between disrespecting people’s religious beliefs and insulting people’s race/sexual orientation/etc. I’d imagine the targets would find both equally offensive. Yet one is illegal, non-PC and off message while the other is fair game.

Respect is respect. Scorning beliefs and harmless customs causes gratuitous offence.Respect involves trying to understand other human beings

And I speak as a life-long atheist and white man, with no vested interest either way.

Respect is respect. Scorning beliefs and harmless customs causes gratuitous offence.Respect involves trying to understand other human beings
Who draws the line where a custom is harmless? Religion still dictates the lives of billions of people every day. And I don’t believe in a positive, liberal, live and let live manner.

Someone fancying some of the same gender affects no one other than the individual. People are gay. They’re born gay just as people are born white, brown and various other shades.

No one is born Christian, or Muslim or Tory or Communist, it’s a learned trait and should judged as such and not afforded special privileges. That doesn’t mean I would go out of my way to try and offend someone but equally, I also won’t lie when the OP asks for my opinion on a subject matter, ie I’ll not be climbing Uluru or walking naked into my local mosque and wiping my dick on the curtain, however I’ll happily voice feelings on Uluru being closed to hikers and I’m more than happy to call out the parts of Islamic* doctrine I feel are idiotic.

NB* feel free to insert and other religion.

Last edited:
Who draws the line where a custom is harmless? Religion still dictates the lives of billions of people every day. And I don’t believe in a positive, liberal, live and let live manner.

Someone fancying some of the same gender affects no one other than the individual. People are gay. They’re born gay just as people are born white, brown and various other shades.

No one is born Christian, or Muslim or Tory or Communist, it’s a learned trait and should judged as such and not afforded special privileges. That doesn’t mean I would go out of my way to try and offend someone but equally, I also won’t lie when the OP asks for my opinion on a subject matter, ie I’ll not be climbing Uluru or walking naked into my local mosque and wiping my dick on the curtain, however I’ll happily voice feelings on Uluru being closed to hikers and I’m more than happy to call out the parts of Islamic* doctrine I feel are idiotic.

NB* feel free to insert and other religion.
Well, thank fcuk I won’t be facing another big dry cleaning bill for my curtains :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.