b of the bang

When ADUG complete the purchase of the land, they will probably build on the spot. As you will be aware, statues of human form are not a primary art form and generally not encouraged in Islam. Otherwise, we could have a Meredith, Doherty, Mercer or other such statue there. How about a beacon-type minaret/spire as I've seen on some pics from Dubai in Off Topic.

As for the B, the artist is a charlatan in my view, selling rusty old crap described as high art. It never ceases to amaze me that some people are so gullible, especially those in power.

coleridge said:
When ADUG complete the purchase of the land, they will probably build on the spot. As you will be aware, statues of human form are not a primary art form and generally not encouraged in Islam. Otherwise, we could have a Meredith, Doherty, Mercer or other such statue there. How about a beacon-type minaret/spire as I've seen on some pics from Dubai in Off Topic.

As for the B, the artist is a charlatan in my view, selling rusty old crap described as high art. It never ceases to amaze me that some people are so gullible, especially those in power.

Not sure it was ever described as 'high art.' I believe the intention was to create an iconic structure that marked the Sports City site and also encapsulated the spirit of the Commonwealth games. As I'm sure many are aware Ron Rodden coined the phrase 'B of the Bang' when trying to coach Linford Christie to faster reaction times.

I am not a fan of sculpture generally, but I do think that this sculpture worked. From the right vantage point you can really appreciate that the structure leans forward at an angle consistent with a sprinter leaving the blocks. Clearly the explosion of power is represented in the spikes.

Personally, I think it is a shame that the thing has become a source of embarrassment.

For me, a great concept, but badly engineered!

A statue oif dickov cheating to win a penalty against us and then celebrating like he has won the world cup to wind up the city fans?

I would rather it be of a loyal and talented city player, however the spot is little to do with City and the club has no say what goes on there.

chrishull said:
geek said:
how about a nice sculptur of alan turing??

seen as he did help break the enigma code during ww2.

and think he help builf the first ever computer and manchester uni.

Or rename the road Joe Mercer Way and have a statue of Joe Mercer there.

thats a good idea, or possibly have a statue of colin bell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.