"Ball in play" times in the Premier League

Should football change system to the "60 minute stop clock"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I seem to remember being told on European nights everything is planned to the minute and advertisers pay a fortune to have whatever it is they are flogging on at exactly the time they want it and is the reason massive fines are dropped on clubs that are late for coming out for kick off or 1/2 time, it messes with the scheduling. I can imagine a money being a driving factor in not enforcing the correct injury time

That would be the 60 minute in play version which may well be the best.
With the 90 minute stadium clock version, which I’ve just invented and not really thought through, the clock would keep running for throws free kicks goal kicks corners and only be stopped for injuries subs and VAR checks so would be visibly stopped. That would still leave time wasting opportunties at dead balls, thats where the putting the clock back at the refs discretion would come in.
As I say I’m making this up on the fly it may be nonsense.
The 90 minute stadium clock approach that you described seems to be the best and least radical solution. It is similar to that used in Rugby. I would add that the match only finishes when 90 minutes are up and ball next goes out of play. This would reduce the referee having an influence on the result and being able to blow the final whistle before full time because Ederson is about to launch the ball into the Madrid penalty area.

The key is transparency and fairness. Currently it's not clear how much time will be added or exactly when the final whistle will go. The principle of a minimum time is open to abuse. A minimum of 3 minutes becomes 4 minutes if RM need a goal and 2.50 if City need a goal.!!

Been saying this for a long time, it's crackers the amount of time wasting that goes on, although reading the article the game with the least time in play this season was west ham v Brentford with 41mins 33secs,

Not suprised with that. I was there. The ref blowing up for a foul at every opportunity and Brentford faking injuries the whole match.

In addition to reducing the game to 60 minutes, you could then reduce extra time to 10 minutes each way pro rata. The more I think about it, it's actually brilliant. It would save me leaving the house to watch.

Totally agree that something needs to be done but as ever the authorities will do nothing. You pay to go to a Rugby League match and the ball will be in play for 80 minutes. You pay to see a tennis match and you know the minimum number of sets you will see. You pay to see a cricket test match and you know that you will see 90 overs in a day subject to weather with refunds coming into play if a certain number of overs aren't possible. You pay to watch a football match and you haven't a clue how long the ball will be in play for. The idea of 40 minutes each way with a stadium clock stopping for free kicks, corners, goals and substutions sounds great to me. Apply a six second rule to throw ins with the ball going to the opposition if the throw in isn't made within time. If introduced I feel there would be less occasions that football fans leave stadiums feeling ripped off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.