Ban the Grand National?

MCFC1993 said:
FantasyIreland said:
Why is it when a horse gets a leg injury they are more often than not put to sleep?

Because a horse has to be on 4 legs to survive, its kind of their instinct. So if the fracture is that bad that even after surgery it can't walk then its better off being put down, due to the pain it'll cause the horse. Some fractures can be resolved with metal plates, but a lot of fractures are too serious, plus it takes four months for a broken leg to heal, a horse couldn't cope for that amount of time off its legs.
Makes more sense,both morally and humanely.thanks

another generation said:
mancitygaz said:
FantasyIreland said:
Why is it when a horse gets a leg injury they are more often than not put to sleep?
Because they will never be able to do the job they were bred for.
However, unless they've already been neutered, they could be used for breeding.
Only if it has good form.

Your argument is flawed. You should be asking to ban all racing over jumps not the National. I have sympathy with your point but these horses are breed soley for the purpose of racing. It's a big industry employing a lot of people.

Very emotive but i still think it's the greatest horse race in the world.
A fantastic spectacle. I'm not a bookies man, i didn't even have a bet today.
Ban boxing, ban formula 1, ban skiing, People killed in all these sports.

mark100267 said:
Your argument is flawed. You should be asking to ban all racing over jumps not the National. I have sympathy with your point but these horses are breed soley for the purpose of racing. It's a big industry employing a lot of people.
I'm not asking for it to be banned, just opinions.

Lower the height of the jumps would be my suggestion, isn't the chair 6'6? That's massive even for a horse. Let alone a tired horse.

5" maximum over a 4 mile run maybe? Won't take any of the entertainment away IMO. I'm not watching and saying "oh he cleared that by a mile" or "wow he clipped that one" the entertainment is in the best horses competing in a difficult race not a dangerous one.

BlueMo' said:
Very emotive but i still think it's the greatest horse race in the world.
A fantastic spectacle. I'm not a bookies man, i didn't even have a bet today.
Ban boxing, ban formula 1, ban skiing, People killed in all these sports.
My thoughts. At least they're not getting bred for meat.

Re: Re: Ban the Grand National?

mark100267 said:

Im not sure that just because its a big industry makes it ok. Im not an advocate of banning it though.

tweetstreet said:
Lower the height of the jumps would be my suggestion, isn't the chair 6'6? That's massive even for a horse. Let alone a tired horse.

5" maximum over a 4 mile run maybe? Won't take any of the entertainment away IMO. I'm not watching and saying "oh he cleared that by a mile" or "wow he clipped that one" the entertainment is in the best horses competing in a difficult race not a dangerous one.
I'd make the fences higher, sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.