Ban the Grand National?

Barcon said:
BlueMo' said:
Very emotive but i still think it's the greatest horse race in the world.
A fantastic spectacle. I'm not a bookies man, i didn't even have a bet today.
Ban boxing, ban formula 1, ban skiing, People killed in all these sports.

I think if somebody died every year at the British Grand Prix they would change something.

Ban football too then As I'm sure People die playing that too, boxing hasn't got that high a death rate considering the action.

The difference here is that boxing, football, rugby etc have a high medical presence where largely something can be done during a potentially fatal injury/occurrence.

The difference being broken bones = death for these horses, and they aren't choosing to run they are being bred too, sports men choose....l

All sports have to evolve, especially if public opinion dictates. Football has.

Sometimes a sport gets 'unlucky' and couple of incidents in a relatively short space of time force its hand. This has happened in boxing on a few occasions down the years.

I think the Grand National will witness a convergence of the above two factors and we will see a fairly significant trimming back of the spectacle- possibly on the numbers of runners and the height of the fences.

I'm no animal rights nut, but these creatures are so willing and so unquestioning when it comes to racing that it seems a little indecent that we place them in such danger without any apparent meaningful care for their well being.

Much like the drag hunting/fox hunting argument I fail to see how anyone who cares for the welfare of animals can't sacrifice a little of the spectacle for the sake of these animals.

Barcon said:
BlueMo' said:

I think if somebody died every year at the British Grand Prix they would change something.

If a jockey died every year no doubt they would.

Re: Re: Ban the Grand National?

tweetstreet said:
Barcon said:
BlueMo' said:

Ban football too then As I'm sure People die playing that too, boxing hasn't got that high a death rate considering the action.

The difference here is that boxing, football, rugby etc have a high medical presence where largely something can be done during a potentially fatal injury/occurrence.

The difference being broken bones = death for these horses, and they aren't choosing to run they are being bred too, sports men choose....l

Not sure which side of the fence (no pun intended) you are on. So because the horses don't choose to be included and sports men do choose that its ok?

blumoon said:
2 heart attacks of late in the Footie.....shall we ban that too
Not the same argument. The horses didn't die of heart attacks, they were put down by the vets because of injuries caused by falls.

tweetstreet said:
Barcon said:
BlueMo' said:

Nobody said ban anything. It's not about the sport, it's the event.

another generation said:
blumoon said:
Not the same argument. The horses didn't die of heart attacks, they were put down by the vets because of injuries caused by falls.

I hold my hands and admit it's wrong if this is indeed the case.

johnmc said:
blumoon said:

2 horses out of 40. Is it 2 footballers out of 40?

Not to sound like an uncaring twat, but it's just an animal.

I dont get upset when I see a dead deer or raccoon on the side of the road, but should driving me banned?

Never understood what makes one animal cuter than another, but thats another thread.

Synchronised was an accident waiting to happen after the pre race goings on.

Pigs are bred for pork, cows steak, chickens............etc

Race horses are molly coddled all their life, no horse racing, no race horses. The end of a species. They are not your average nag.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.