Bands Without Original Members

Depeche Mode have 3 of the originals still in the band.

Only original missing is Vince Clarke.

And after just finishing a 20 month world tour I would say they are still very much "going".
Did not know Vince Clarke was is depeche mode. Gets legendary status for me for the perfect remix of WFL.
Can almost forgive him for erasure.

Did not know Vince Clarke was is depeche mode. Gets legendary status for me for the perfect remix of WFL.
Can almost forgive him for erasure.
Went to a Mute records special a few years ago...

Alison Moyet did a bit, then Vince came on to join her for some Yazoo songs before Andy Bell took over from her for some Erasure stuff. Was a good night.

Vince left DM after the first album and legend has it he offered "Don't Go" to them as a parting gift. They refused it as they had "See You" ready to roll.

Few more ....some work some don't

Styx without Dennis DeYoung ..... Gowan better keyboard player not better singer ... Dennis is an assole and tried to screw the band so its better for all he went
Loved Van Halen with Hagar, they went up a notch when they finally got someone who could sing
No Perry no Journey
Foreigner without Lou Gramm ...... both vocalists who replaced him the 2 times he left are great , Johnny Edwards and Kelly Hansen who is still in the band... Lou is a legend tho.
Fleetwood Mac originally without Peter Green and later without Christine McVie and Lindsay Buckingham is wrong
Blackfoot without Ricky Medlock ..... how could they Ricky is Southern rock royalty
Asia for all those years without John Wetton and Carl Palmer ....... you cannot replace prog legends and win
I was worried when Ozzy left/was fired by Sabbath but my worry soon went when he was replaced by the greatest metal singer ever ....

It's not Van Halen without Dave!

Journey without Perry is a pale shadow but Greg Rolie is a bit of a miss too.

The Dio version of Sabbath was good but better with Ozzy.

Maybe. .
Maybe not
But i did see The Musical Box tribute ( Gabriel approved /endorsed ) perform a banging version of the 1974 UK tour at Wolverhampton Civic hall a few years back....the gig ended with Suppers Ready...took the roof off...
Both Gabriel and Collins were superb band members. .and one thing cannot be taken away from Collins is his ,imo, brave decision to step forward to be frontman...a most difficult role to perform.esp with a big UK tour waiting
...imo he did a great job,and Seconds Out live album proves this ..in my humble opinion.
The important thing is that Genesis carried on...moot point who was 'better' but their best live album suggests Collins didn't do too bad...
Ok, I'm going to backtrack a little. I was wrong to treat this as a Gabriel vs Collins discussion because actually the most important band member for me was Steve Hackett. It was the Steve Hackett version of Genesis I far preferred. I think he still played guitar on Seconds Out which I agree is a very good live album albeit Collins voice does grate on me a little. His last studio album was Wind and Wuthering. I think Genesis missed his song writing and guitar style more than they missed Gabriel. I still go to see Steve Hackett live every year (next in October) and he and his band are what Genesis should have become musically (albeit they would have been a great deal less commercially successful).

I don't think Peter Gabriels solo work has aged that well. For me, listening to it now it lacks a bit of heart and soul and indeed his live shows are not that emotionally involving. In contrast Hackett is still producing wonderful music imo. I was never a fan of Phil's solo stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.