Bands you discovered as support acts

Flaming Lips supporting Mercury Rev at Sheffield Octagon was a pretty good night.

And another vote for James supporting The Smiths at the Palace Theatre, it was the first time I’d seen a support band brought back on for an encore. If I remember correctly, they had to play Hymn From A Village again as they didn’t have any more songs!

The Beatles booked to support Roy Orbison's tour 1963. That changed pretty quickly and Roy became the support act and closed the first half.

Iron Maiden supporting Judas Priest in Bristol Colston Hall 1980. The hall named after the fellow who brought wealth to Bristol, but had his statue thrown in the docks by white liberals. My tin hat is on.
i was gonna post about maiden but wasn't sure ,your dates confirmed it for me
i must have seen them on the same tour as you but at the apollo in Manc supporting Priest.
they had the original singer ,not Dickinson.

Blackfoot supporting the Scorpions in 1980.
Grand Prix (who?) supporting Sammy Hagar in 1982.
Bon Jovi supporting Kiss in 1984.

Also, a couple that others have already mentioned. And some I've probably forgotten about because of drugs...
I saw Blackfoot back the Scorpions too,Blackfoot toured the year after on their own .
we managed to walk into the stage area at the back of the apollo near where that pub was after the gig.
I remember talking to the singer who's name i forget,I was stunned at the time that he liked Rod Stewart same as me !

definately the free trade hall,they'd just had a bit of attention through " Roxanne " but i still remember it being very
poorly attended,we were upstairs in the balcony and it was virtually empty.
Yes I remember now. Sting wore a green jumpsuit.

Def Leppard supported AC/DC at the Manchester Apollo in 1979. Loud as I recall.
are you sure about the dates ?
i saw leppard at Belle Vue,there were probably at best 200 people there ,it was 79 earliest to 81,i know it was when i was still at school so had to be 79 to 81.
I remember one of the guitarists snapping one of his strings and he had to put a new one on that took a few minutes,he must have been so broke he didnt have a spare guitar

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.