Bands you wished you'd seen and bands you did see

Which Bon Jovi tour was that mate? Wasn’t the New Jersey tour December 88 was it? If so, I recall at the NEC the headliners put on a great show.
December 1989 - Bon Jovi were good, but I remember thinking that 90 mins was a bit short for one of the biggest bands on the planet. It’s just that Dan Reed Network we’re so bloody good that night.

December 1989 - Bon Jovi were good, but I remember thinking that 90 mins was a bit short for one of the biggest bands on the planet. It’s just that Dan Reed Network we’re so bloody good that night.
For sure, agree about the set length.
Having said that,I’ve just looked up that tour though - they started October 88 and finished Feb 90, and it wasn’t with big gaps, they were playing every month. An absolutely ridiculous schedule tbf, so maybe by Dec 89 they were getting a bit frazzled!

For sure, agree about the set length.
Having said that,I’ve just looked up that tour though - they started October 88 and finished Feb 90, and it wasn’t with big gaps, they were playing every month. An absolutely ridiculous schedule tbf, so maybe by Dec 89 they were getting a bit frazzled!
Yeah, probably. New Jersey was released in 1988, so the show I saw must have been in their 2nd lap of the UK. I guess they must have been having a breather between Xmas and New Year. It was 28th or 29th IIRC.

Wish I'd seen:
The Beatles, Elvis, Nirvana, Little Richard, Abba, Jean-Michel Jarre, Roy Wood, Steely Dan, Frank Sinatra, James Brown.

Most are pretty explanatory but I've loved to have seen Jarre at Maine Road back in the day just for the light show alone. Just couldn't afford it :( back in the day, his shows were truly off the scale, you'd never seen anything like it. I quite like some of his music too.

I also wanted to see Roy Wood for no other reason than to hear "I wish it could be Christmas" (I loved The Move stuff too though).

Did see:
Stone Roses, Oasis, Primal Scream, AC/DC, Paul McCartney, Chic, Inspiral Carpets, Pearl Jam, Verve, Elbow, Supergrass, Neil Young, Beck, Radiohead, Michael McDonald amongst lots of others.

I was never an Oasis fan but my Mum got us tickets to see them at Maine Rd in 94 (I think) as a treat as she knew someone who could get them. I didn't want to go to be honest but it was one of those concerts where the band came on and blew the place apart. What a set, they totally converted me that night - one of the greatest nights I've ever had especially when a band converts you on the strength of a live performance. Absolutely phenomenal, pure rock n roll at its finest. A few years later we saw the Roses at the Apollo and literally straight behind us was Oasis who were very friendly that night - top lads. Also saw the Roses at Heaton Park and that's one of the most hammered crowds I've seen for a long time ha ha! Primal Scream are another great live band - just classic stuff and know how to play to a crowd.

Paul McCartney was OUTSTANDING. 2 and a half hours of absolute classics and truly one of the greatest musicians of the 20th Century. The guy could play for 12 hours and you'd still be arguing about the songs he didn't play. Genius.

AC/DC were as you'd expect - just pure rock n roll. My father in law was very goof mates with Brian Johnson when they worked at Parsons in the toon and I can't believe how Brian's still going. Full credit to the band, they just know how to make great songs and absolute showmen.

Chic are off the scale live, again like McCartney, just rolling off the classic disco stuff. When Nile Rodgers kicks the bucket he will be remembered as a truly great musician in my opinion. The Sugarhill gang used his music to kick start hip hop and Sister Sledge, Diana Ross, David Bowie, Madonna and Duran Duran would have had very different careers without his music.

The Inspirals were a band I loved as a kid. Saw them in Holmfirth in a small venue and was slightly worried they wouldn't be as good as remembered. As soon as they started they took us all back to 1990 - immense and a top venue!

Pearl Jam were meh. Just so into themselves and had no real crack with the crowd.

Verve and Richard Ashcroft and were terrible. I went to the bar as it was so boring. He just hasn't got that charisma to pull off being grumpy. Elbow were tedious as well - couldn't tell when one song started or finished.

Supergrass were amazing - a very underrated band in my opinion. 3 minute songs of absolute pure classic pop.

Saw Beck at the Albert Hall and he was phenomenal and his band are absolutely spot on. One of the best gigs I've been to for a while and one of those guys who just commands an audience. His encore was one of the best I've seen.

I'm a big Radiohead fan but it was a hard listen that night. Just didn't get the crowd in my opinion and can pick songs which are downbeat and sound the same. Wouldn't go and see them again unless they provided the set list upfront :D

Lastly, Michael McDonald at the Apollo - probably the best venue in Manchester. Played the classic Doobie's stuff as well as his own. Phenomenal musician, great back catalogue of music as well. Awesome being there with my Dad who loves him as well. I'd have loved it even more if he'd brought Christopher Cross out or Patti LaBelle as the encore artist.

Last edited:
Wish I had seen: the Stooges, 13th Floor Elevators, Joy Division, Hawkwind, Les Rallizes Denudes, SAHB

Best I have seen live: the Cramps, Kate Bush

Also, saw the Jam at the Electric Circus but was never much of a fan.

Most unusual gig was Faust at a club in Osaka when I lived in Japan.

Ever wear ear plugs? Cos your hearing must be slightly fucked after that lot!
Yep, at about 30% of those gigs, I turned my passion for music and gig going into a job for a while and used to photograph gigs for several publications. When you're shooting from the pit in front of the front row ear plugs were a necessity.

I was preparing to go see Prince live in Barcelona months before he died on his Alone and a Microphone tour. A real regret never getting to see/hear him live

Would love to have seen the New Fast Automatic Daffs...seen youtube clips and their gigs look rockin...I only got into them after Id left to live in Germany.,

Was fortunate to see the Roses "Heaton Park mk1" do, and was chuffed to bits to see the Mondays and Inspirals on the same bill when they did their tour together sometime around 2010 (I think)
Most fortunate of all was I got to see Ride in Munich right before lockdown. Always loved their music and they are as good as ever since the reform....and Andy Bell lent me his brolly to stop me getting wet as I waited outside.

Ocean Colour Scene free gig in Hard Rock Cafe in Munich was pretty special too if a bit mental, with people sat down eating their burgers n chips and chatting to their friends right in front of the stage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.