Banksy

I mean welcome to art, I guess. He's managed to create a mystique around himself. The Mona Lisa is only famous because someone tried to steal it. Before that, it was just another painting. Now it's behind bullet proof glass and people come from around the world and queue up to see it. The artwork itself hasn't changed. But to story or context around the artwork is part of its appeal, I guess. People like the idea of this mysterious artist who just pops up randomly.

I preferred wanksy myself. The bloke who used to draw a dick around potholes because it made the council fix them quicker.
Someone tried to steal the Mona Lisa because it is generally regarded as Leonardo's masterpiece and probably the most famous painting in the world.

Reactions: PPT
Not at the time it wasn't. Nobody outside of the art world knew about it before it was stolen.
Very surprised to hear that, but Wikipedia supports your view...

"It has normally been on display at the Louvre in Paris since 1797.[12]

The painting's global fame and popularity partly stem from its 1911 theft by Vincenzo Peruggia, who attributed his actions to Italian patriotism—a belief it should belong to Italy."

Every day's a school day :-)

The painting's global fame and popularity partly stem from its 1911 theft by Vincenzo Peruggia, who attributed his actions to Italian patriotism—a belief it should belong to Italy."

It's what you get from watching too much QI.

Throws teacher application form in bin, close call.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.