Banning smoking in beer gardens

Lots of things can kill us. Suicide is the number one death of younger men which is abhorrent when you think about it.

I’m a non-smoker and sensible drinker but bowel cancer still came after me at just 42. I’ve also changed my lifestyle considerably to try and cut down the risk of it coming back.

Wish you all the best in preventing it mate and well done for beating it.

Fags
Fast food
Booze next

Yet they want to talk about legalising drugs?

Wish you all the best in preventing it mate and well done for beating it.

Fags
Fast food
Booze next

Yet they want to talk about legalising drugs?
Thank you.

I’m 44 and never recall any era of Parliament where they’ve considered legalising any illegal drug. It’ll never happen.

Medical professionals with a billion letters after their name said no smoking and a healthy diet. Alcohol was never mentioned.

My moderate consumption shouldn’t have any effect on me in the grand scheme of things.

I guess the idea is it would avoid advertising to kids.
I don't know the current viewing figures but I suspect not many kids see TV ads for fast food or watch much on TV at all these days. They do however watch lots of youtube, toktik, snapchip etc etc. Both my sons are now in their thirties but they rarely watch TV other than C Beebies for their kids.

I don't know the current viewing figures but I suspect not many kids see TV ads for fast food or watch much on TV at all these days. They do however watch lots of youtube, toktik, snapchip etc etc. Both my sons are now in their thirties but they rarely watch TV other than C Beebies for their kids.

Other reports suggested it would be a ban on TV before 9pm (and obviously that included on demand, which kids will watch), AND a ban on social media.

The way it read was that it would be a total ban on social media ads for junk food, but pretty sure that can also be timed for ads that are served around videos.

Not sure how it would work if Mr Beast starts talking about his burgers though.

A lot of beer gardens have a designated smoking area to them or could easily create one, not sure why they don’t just stick with that. The ones that don’t tend to be places that any non smoker wouldn’t ever want to go and sit and have a drink in anyway.

A lot of beer gardens have a designated smoking area to them or could easily create one, not sure why they don’t just stick with that. The ones that don’t tend to be places that any non smoker wouldn’t ever want to go and sit and have a drink in anyway.

If it was an alley at the back of a pub say 100ft away and the only facility there was a big tin can, no lighting and just a group of huddled smokers.

They'd still want to ban it, this isn't about people not being able to breathe or protecting children this is just other people wanting to tell people what to do.

Other reports suggested it would be a ban on TV before 9pm (and obviously that included on demand, which kids will watch), AND a ban on social media.

The way it read was that it would be a total ban on social media ads for junk food, but pretty sure that can also be timed for ads that are served around videos.

Not sure how it would work if Mr Beast starts talking about his burgers though.
It will be very interesting to see how they police that with sites hosted outside the UK.

Last edited:
It will be very interesting to see how they police that with sites hosted outside the UK.

Most of the ads you see served alongside videos are UK ones, so for the big ones like You Tube or Facebook, I expect it will just be complied with. It's mostly big multinationals that sell junk food, so they're probably used to dealing with similar rules.

For things like US made videos, think that might be trickier. I'd also imagine if you visit an actual foreign website, rather than a multinational, which doesn't use one of the big ad companies to serve local ads, that you might see the wrong ads, but I suspect that's not hugely common. Even a tiny foreign based site, will likely use something like Google ads which comply with local rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.