Barca vs Arsenal

robbieh said:
There's maybe only one man who can stop them and that is Mourinho. If he does he will deserve all the plaudits he so much wants, as Barca are a great team.

He failed to in the group games against Barcelona. They were more one sided than the first leg against Arsenal. Frankly if Mourinho pulled it off it would be as close to a miracle in football as you can get.

GStar said:
jellert said:
Yes...... Messi has just the technique like Ronaldinho but he goes to goal.. Ronaldhinho stands still and waits for a pass to give.....

I dont really want to get into it with you, as i can see you replying with more vague and most likely pointless one liners.

However... Messi is quite one dimensional... he runs at you and reacts quicker than you do, he doesnt need a plan b as no one has been able to stop his plan A. Theres no tricks, no deviancy its a chance of direction so quick that hes past you before you react.

Ronaldinho could beat his man 10 times in a game and each time it would be different, be it with agility, deviation, power etc

To say Messi has the same technique as Ronaldinho who waits for a pass i'd have to ask how long you've been watching football?

-- Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 pm --

Papa Smurf said:
And maybe i think you were talking bollocks so I decided to comment on it, maybe it is a forum and people like to comment on other people's opinion, and maybe I thought you were a smart person that could have a debate, I was obviously wrong.

If you don't like that then you should have private conversation that way no one will comment, just a friendly suggestion. Carry on.

You started you post off in a patronising, sarcastic tone... the same way you've finished this.

If you want to debate then fine, but dont act like a dick... i'm quite aware im in the minority here, and most prefer one liners and smarmy arsey abuse so there no point me engaging with abuse is there? They're not looking for a debate, they're looking to score points.

If i sounded patronising I didnt mean to, the use of the word "maybe" was purely because I never assume to know what another person means, thats just the way I am.

the problem with this forums is that some times the tone of a comment is free to be interpreted by people as a go at someone. you even say yourself I "sounded" sarcastic when you actually just read that cause you wanted to. I gotta admit your reply to my first comment did piss me off since you decided to completely ignore a valid point by stating something quite ridiculous in a forum.

That said I'm sorry but I still think your point is bollocks, no by far since Dinho was amazing but if you actually want to debate it I'm game. I actually thought I had a fair point to my comment.

Project said:
robbieh said:
There's maybe only one man who can stop them and that is Mourinho. If he does he will deserve all the plaudits he so much wants, as Barca are a great team.

He failed to in the group games against Barcelona. They were more one sided than the first leg against Arsenal. Frankly if Mourinho pulled it off it would be as close to a miracle in football as you can get.

I saw that game and Inter were completely outplayed and Mourinho knew it.

But I reckon we will see a closer game this time.

Having said all that I don't want him at City.

GStar said:
Papa Smurf said:
maybe that Messi also does things with a football that ronaldinho cant even dream of... for example consistently scoring three goals per game or scoring 4 in champions. the fact that they play different styles doesnt make Dinho better.

Maybe the guy can speak for himself?

depps said:
Haha GStar you are starting to sound like a religious nut in the face over whelming evidence now......Messi is God, deal with it!!!

Good for you, thats your opinion... i'll have mine. Perhaps you should learn to deal with the fact people have differnet opinions.

Its a fact of life. Very basic stuff.

Relax GStar my comment was made in jest in reference to the god thread in off topic where you are criticising religious people for ignoring the evidence before them.

I would actually agree with you that Messi isn't the greatest footballer ever but not for the reasons that you have given. The reasons Pele and Maradona are regarded as the greatest is because of their achievements in the game not just their skills. Its too hard to compare the skills of people form different eras in the game effectively. Your comments about Ronaldinho having better technique than Messi may be true, but the same would also be true of Rivaldho and even someone like Djalminha who never won much at all.

'Greatness' though is not simply about skills or ability it is about achievements and if Messi was to lead Argentina to World Cup glory this summer after helping Barcelona to become the first team in 20 years to win back to back European Cups he would in my opinion be up their alongside Maradona and Pele and considering the fact that he is still only 22 will most likely surpass them at some stage

Apologies if i read you're post in the wrong tone, its a drawback of this form of communication i guess...

Papa Smurf said:
maybe that Messi also does things with a football that ronaldinho cant even dream of... for example consistently scoring three goals per game or scoring 4 in champions. the fact that they play different styles doesnt make Dinho better.

Anyway, to your post.

I don't know how consistently he scores 3/4 a game, i presume its more than Ronaldinho did? I've also no idea on thier assist stats but i'd argue that would paly a factor too.

My main point, as i mentioned above, is the Ronaldinho was not only capable but excelled at almost every attacking trait going. On top of that his control over a football both on the ground and manipulating it in the air was of a level i've never seen before.

He looked so natural with the ball whilst passing opponents no matter how he was controlling the ball or where it was... in comparison, i think Messi is one dimensional in his approach, he'll beat you as often as ROnaldinho but he'll do it the same time every time.

For me, his ability to make the extrodinary look natural is what draws me to him, along with his ability to affect a game. IMO the arguement would be; "Is Messi's speed and agility so much better than everyone else that it surpasses the all round ability of Ronaldinho/Zidane/Maradonna et al"?

But that may not be how others see it.<br /><br />-- Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm --<br /><br />
depps said:
Relax GStar my comment was made in jest in reference to the god thread in off topic where you are criticising religious people for ignoring the evidence before them.

I would actually agree with you that Messi isn't the greatest footballer ever but not for the reasons that you have given. The reasons Pele and Maradona are regarded as the greatest is because of their achievements in the game not just their skills. Its too hard to compare the skills of people form different eras in the game effectively. Your comments about Ronaldinho having better technique than Messi may be true, but the same would also be true of Rivaldho and even someone like Djalminha who never won much at all.

'Greatness' though is not simply about skills or ability it is about achievements and if Messi was to lead Argentina to World Cup glory this summer after helping Barcelona to become the first team in 20 years to win back to back European Cups he would in my opinion be up their alongside Maradona and Pele and considering the fact that he is still only 22 will most likely surpass them at some stage

Good points, and again apologies... i'm obviously not great at sensing tone on the internet ;)

Its interesting that people do consider the greats "great" because of thier achievement in almost one off tournaments... I'd argue that a poor way to judge a player and it should be done on a more widespread basis. But then that would also hinder my arguement for Ronaldinho as after 3/4 years being considered the best he dropped big style (considering).

The way i see it, if you put a guy with reactions as quick as Messi against him... his threat would be nullified. Its the same time and again, but people cant react to it quick enough. Its not that he is more skillfull with a football than anyone else but he can move the ball quicker than anyone else.

But thats just me.

GStar said:
Apologies if i read you're post in the wrong tone, its a drawback of this form of communication i guess...

Papa Smurf said:

Anyway, to your post.

I don't know how consistently he scores 3/4 a game, i presume its more than Ronaldinho did? I've also no idea on thier assist stats but i'd argue that would paly a factor too.

My main point, as i mentioned above, is the Ronaldinho was not only capable but excelled at almost every attacking trait going. On top of that his control over a football both on the ground and manipulating it in the air was of a level i've never seen before.

He looked so natural with the ball whilst passing opponents no matter how he was controlling the ball or where it was... in comparison, i think Messi is one dimensional in his approach, he'll beat you as often as ROnaldinho but he'll do it the same time every time.

For me, his ability to make the extrodinary look natural is what draws me to him, along with his ability to affect a game. IMO the arguement would be; "Is Messi's speed and agility so much better than everyone else that it surpasses the all round ability of Ronaldinho/Zidane/Maradonna et al"?

But that may not be how others see it.

-- Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm --

depps said:

Good points, and again apologies... i'm obviously not great at sensing tone on the internet ;)

Its interesting that people do consider the greats "great" because of thier achievement in almost one off tournaments... I'd argue that a poor way to judge a player and it should be done on a more widespread basis. But then that would also hinder my arguement for Ronaldinho as after 3/4 years being considered the best he dropped big style (considering).

The way i see it, if you put a guy with reactions as quick as Messi against him... his threat would be nullified. Its the same time and again, but people cant react to it quick enough. Its not that he is more skillfull with a football than anyone else but he can move the ball quicker than anyone else.

But thats just me.

Its not just one of tournaments though, if that was the case then someone like Toto Schillaci would be regarded as a great. Maradona not only won the world cup with Argentia he also achieved a lot at club level. Boca Juniors spent £1mill on him which was a crazy sum for Argentinian football at the time and he then went to Barcelona for a world record fee before then winning 2 leagues and a UEFA Cup at Napoli who had never before won anything and haven't again since.
Pele has 3 world cup wins and 2 Copa Libretedores and a shit load of state championships with Santos, once again quite a small and unfashionable club, as well as breaking numerous goalscoring records.

Its their sustained success across their careers that makes them 'great' not any one of those individual achievements

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.