Barcelona (A) | Charity Friendly | Post Match Thread

Hard to take much from a charity match. We really don't have the squad depth this year, at all.

Glad that some of the youngsters got minutes - JWE going forward is superb.

Bit disappointed in Palmer - lacking match fitness but he wasn't picking up the defensive work as an 8.

Mahrez was offside more tonight than Jesus was in his City career

Our squad depth worries me. We've lost three very experience proven players in Jesus, Zinchenko and Sterling. We seem to have a few players very prone to injury. Stones, Laporte and now Ake and Phillips. I think we're going to struggle going deep in all competitions this season.

Good fun that.

Good to see Gomez get a run out and Alvarez has tevez vibes.

Great distribution from Ortega too.
He has nothing to do with Tevez for now, I don't know what you're talking about. This kid is pretty lightweight, I'm thinking more of Navas for now, but rebut us! Tevez was a Pitbull and very technical too!

Obviously all comes with the caveat of it being a friendly where priority, one, two and three is to not get injured.

Ortega I like. He's lightyears ahead of Steffen. Should be saving that first goal all day though. Made a few nice saves second half, even thought he did well for their second.

Lewis, he's 17 and it shows. I like his confidence in himself though. Great experience for him, but a good few years away from being involved competitively.

Gomez, neat and tidy debut, not much else to add, been here a week.

Phillips. Lots of work to be done from him, just doesn't seem to know where to be. Has the technical ability to play for us but that's redundant if you don't grasp the system. Always predicted he will be. Slow burner. Hopefully his injury was very minor, the suggestion seemed to be a dislocated shoulder, he's either the hardest man on earth if it is, done it many times before so that the pain is minimal or it wasn't a dislocation. Hopefully a jarring.

Palmer, as I said at halftime, belongs at our level but doesn't have the physical attributes or intensity to play as an 8, the wing is where he will feature most for us, silky player and great sterling-like movement for the goal.

Alvarez, lots of good busy work from him, his link up play coming short is top notch, his hold up play however needs a lot of work. Should have scored a hattrick but he got a goal that should help him along.

Wilson-Esbrand,
Shame about Mbete, he looked completely zoned out when he was stood, hopefully nothing more serious than some concussion.

So long as the Phillips issue isn't serious, Mbete is nothing too bad and there's no hidden injuries, there's more than enough value for us from tonight. Still don't want to see us playing friendlies mid-season though.

Our squad depth worries me. We've lost three very experience proven players in Jesus, Zinchenko and Sterling. We seem to have a few players very prone to injury. Stones, Laporte and now Ake and Phillips. I think we're going to struggle going deep in all competitions this season.

The Carabao is usually for kids...but we don't have enough of them!

You missed out Ferna

Palmer, JWE, Mbete, Lewis, Mbete etc shouldn’t be playing at 50%. They’ve been given an opportunity in the first time, at the Nou camp, in front of 90,000 fans.
It’s a friendly. Where players are trying not to get injured. Because more important games are coming up. If you think Pep is judging the young players based on tonight you’re deluded.

Decent game and good to see Palmer, Lewis and Gomez getting some game time. Thought Gomez did ok and he made a good recovery tackle to thwart Raphinha.

Hope Mbete and Phillips make quick recoveries from their injuries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.