Barcelona Vs City CL 2nd leg Post Match Thread

As someone who supports a team that's been matched up w Barca for THREE STRAIGHT FUCKING YEARS IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, I know what you're all going thru.

It gets no easier. Watching the world class diving and refs falling for it never gets simpler. You never get numb.

The first time may be the worst, but it stings like shit every time.

Get used to it gents. Teams like this are coddled like babies

I'm encouraged by the performance - like the first game it was a fairly tight affair but again we failed to deliver in the key moments and that was the difference - Messi was clinical and we weren't ... this aside I don't see a huge gap to bridge - a second top class centre back and/or some clinical finishing and we could be celebrating a historic night.

I agree with much of the sentiment about the officiating in both legs. While you could argue the toss about all significant bad decisions evening themselves out, the crux is that both refs (particularly tonights chancer) seemed almost star struck by the Barca boys and the majority of the 50-50's and soft fouls went their way ... The Navas soft one at the Etihad for example, would have been given to Messi or Iniesta all day long.
The problem this created tonight was a build up of frustration and anger in our lads, that influenced the rash play leading to Lescotts blunder (shortly after Dzeko getting blown up for being bear hugged by Pique) and then culminated in Zabba completely blowing his top after the shocking penalty decision.
The officials have really spoiled the tie in a lot of ways ... I just hope we'll get decent ones in the future as two great footballing sides deserved better arbiters.

Finally after reading through much of the thread (with plenty of insight and decent discussion included) I'd like to suggest to the mods only this: instant seven day (or more if it pleases their majesties) ban hammer for anyone who ends a post with 'Fact' or 'End of'

* yes I do realise what I've done there, honest !

obliquerays said:
I'm encouraged by the performance - like the first game it was a fairly tight affair but again we failed to deliver in the key moments and that was the difference - Messi was clinical and we weren't ... this aside I don't see a huge gap to bridge - a second top class centre back and/or some clinical finishing and we could be celebrating a historic night.

I agree with much of the sentiment about the officiating in both legs. While you could argue the toss about all significant bad decisions evening themselves out, the crux is that both refs (particularly tonights chancer) seemed almost star struck by the Barca boys and the majority of the 50-50's and soft fouls went their way ... The Navas soft one at the Etihad for example, would have been given to Messi or Iniesta all day long.
The problem this created tonight was a build up of frustration and anger in our lads, that influenced the rash play leading to Lescotts blunder (shortly after Dzeko getting blown up for being bear hugged by Pique) and then culminated in Zabba completely blowing his top after the shocking penalty decision.
The officials have really spoiled the tie in a lot of ways ... I just hope we'll get decent ones in the future as two great footballing sides deserved better arbiters.

Finally after reading through much of the thread (with plenty of insight and decent discussion included) I'd like to suggest to the mods only this: instant seven day (or more if it pleases their majesties) ban hammer for anyone who ends a post with 'Fact' or 'End of'

* yes I do realise what I've done there, honest !

Good read.

Actually I forgot to put into my post the fact of Dzeko's molestation in the lead up to the goal.

Bring on the seething!

Wacky_Waving_Inflatable_Arm_Flailing_Tube_Man.gif

END OF

I don't know what the talk about refs is about, both sides got their share of unfair calls.

Kompany was a GIANT yersterday, probably the best CDF and captain in the world right now! Not only defend, start attacks, encourage people but also score. Had a bet on him to score in 90 mins with a header) If only our strikers could do half of that. Aguero was a ghost, must be still unfit, pity jovetic couldn't make it, he would take his chances I guess.

Certainly refs are different in CL games, we either get used to it, or will often go down to 10 men and shoot ourselves in the foot.

Unfortunately our finishing these days is horrible, Nasri should have scored a goal in first half, Dzeko header was great also the save, while Zabaleta's shot was piss poor. We had the chances but no goal from these cost us.

Defending wasnt great, but Messi found his form, he was great, its hard to keep him out of a game when has his mojo, I think we are lucky only conceded 2 goals, Messi's woodwork, the pen by Lescott not given, some great Hart saves, also the miss by Neymar when he alredy beat Hart and Fernandinho headed out the ball off the line. Defensively we werent great at all, thought Kolarov and Lescott were particularly weak, most of Barca chances came from that side of our defence.

But we fought hard, tried to be in the game, had even chance to 1-0 up, but real chance to win the whole tie, that never was the case unfortunately. Hoped for a little cloer end result, 4-1 is not great by any means, yeah Barca is world class but their form this season or only in 2014 is not the greatest they have problems in the league just like us. Losing to team like Sociedad, Valladolid proved this between the two City-Barca games.

Shaelumstash said:
Mattyc55 said:
Chris in London said:
No it wont, it is already a success.

If you think the league cup is a successful season with this team, in this league, then I wish I had your mentality!

For me (and i'm guessing a lot of other blues) it will be looked back upon in May/June as a failure. A few weeks ago we were all predicting 170+ goals and a potential domestic treble. Finishing behind a Chelsea side with no striker, and losing to Wigan in an FA Cup quarter final is simply not good enough for this team, especially after last season. One league cup in two years is simply not good enough.

Totally agree mate. With this squad, anything less than winning the league is an underachievement. We all loved the day out at the League Cup final, but if that is all we have to show for this season, and we finish second or third in the league, we'll have nowhere near achieved our potential.

Different fans have different ambitions though. Some are happy that we were electric for 6 weeks, and aren't too concerned about the rest of the season. I've even seen someone post tonight that that the season has been a success because "we were still in 4 competitions in March". Personally I find that baffling, as the major trophies are given out in May. Doesn't matter how good you looked in December, or how many competitions you are in during March. It's where you finish that counts, based on the whole season.

We've still got a great chance to win the league and I hope we can turn this recent form around and go on to win it. But for some to say it's been a successful season no matter where we finish in the league, they've got a very different opinion to me of the quality of our squad, and what we should be achieving.
Oh dear. The sense of entitlement is setting in already.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.