Barcelona Vs City CL 2nd leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
mad zab said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Clarkey_78 said:
all day long , exactly what i was thinking RE team selection - I reckon Garcia will get the nod as well

I do think Milner would just give us that extra energy and willingness to cover the flank when Silva and Nasri just can't get back in on the cover, although both have a huge part to play to do just that.

I have a sneaky feeling Milner could start after missing out on Sunday, when there was no reason for him not to start v Wigan, and every reason for Garcia to be rested.

Barca want to see Yaya in a static role in the middle, where they can run off the back of him and pop the ball around him.

Sure, Yaya not playing deeper will curtail those 40-yard barnstormers, but no use having him shoot his load in the wrong areas.

Keep him up top, where he can run directly at goal within 20 yards, where his shooting can also be a factor, but he can also use his technique to play with Silva, Nasri and Aguero.

We need to have our match-winners playing as close together as possible.

I don't know why, but I see us winning tonight 4-2 and going through on the away goals, if we go 4-2-3-1.

I have also seen Yaya play poorly when played too far up front from the start TH. I still think he is at his best running from deep.

Whoever we play they need to be on the ball from the start and play at a high tempo closing down the Barca midfield quickly. Then make good use of the possession we get.

Yeah, I agree. Game passes him by far too easily when he plays further forward, he's not a natural 'No. 10'. I'd play exactly the 11 suggested above, but with Garcia playing slightly behind Yaya and Fernandinho in a 3, almost a mirror of how Barcelona will play. Silva, Nasri and Aguero ahead of them.

mad zab said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Clarkey_78 said:
all day long , exactly what i was thinking RE team selection - I reckon Garcia will get the nod as well

I do think Milner would just give us that extra energy and willingness to cover the flank when Silva and Nasri just can't get back in on the cover, although both have a huge part to play to do just that.

I have a sneaky feeling Milner could start after missing out on Sunday, when there was no reason for him not to start v Wigan, and every reason for Garcia to be rested.

Barca want to see Yaya in a static role in the middle, where they can run off the back of him and pop the ball around him.

Sure, Yaya not playing deeper will curtail those 40-yard barnstormers, but no use having him shoot his load in the wrong areas.

Keep him up top, where he can run directly at goal within 20 yards, where his shooting can also be a factor, but he can also use his technique to play with Silva, Nasri and Aguero.

I don't know why, but I see us winning tonight 4-2 and going through on the away goals, if we go 4-2-3-1.

I have also seen Yaya play poorly when played too far up front from the start TH. I still think he is at his best running from deep.

Whoever we play they need to be on the ball from the start and play at a high tempo closing down the Barca midfield quickly. Then make good use of the possession we get.

I do understand your take, but playing Yaya in his normal midfield role is exactly why the likes of Dortmund, Bayern and Barca were able to nullify him.

Yaya will get swamped by their midgets, sure, it might look good as they bounce off him on occasion, but it's not serving the wider purpose of the team, which should be to create enough opportunties, despite playing just Aguero up front.

We are sometimes guilty of not testing goalkeepers enough. Yaya, 20 yards from goal, takes away the onus every time for the inch-perfect slide-rule pass from Nasri or Silva, into Sergio.

If Yaya fails to deliver, he should be subbed, like Sunday, where the team proved they can still take it to teams.

Negredo and Navas would be waiting in the wings.

I tell ya guys, im fuckin buzzin about the game 2night!

I really do have a gut feeling this is gonna be a special special night! Its typical of City and sums us up perfectly that we got beat vs Wigan, and would go to Barcelona and do them!

I loved the other forum post earlier in the season about Ruben Cousillas, god I love that guy. He was becoming a fan favourite for his absolutely crazy celebrations vs Newcastle and others everytime we score. He stood in for the press conference for Pellegrini, so theres no doubt in my mind he will be the one on the touchline for us tonight and not Brian Kidd.

I just have this vision in my head, I can just picture it - a late Sergio Aguero goal to get us into the Quarter Finals of the Champions League and our Ruben going absolutely fucking mental in his celebration.

It would have tears streamin down my face.

That's my dream for 2night anyway lol

tolmie's hairdoo said:
mad zab said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

I do understand your take, but playing Yaya in his normal midfield role is exactly why the likes of Dortmund, Bayern and Barca were able to nullify him.

Yaya will get swamped by their midgets, sure, it might look good as they bounce off him on occasion, but it's not serving the wider purpose of the team, which should be to create enough opportunties, despite playing just Aguero up front.

We are sometimes guilty of not testing goalkeepers enough. Yaya, 20 yards from goal, takes away the onus every time for the inch-perfect slide-rule pass from Nasri or Silva, into Sergio.

If Yaya fails to deliver, he should be subbed, like Sunday, where the team proved they can still take it to teams.

Negredo and Navas would be waiting in the wings.

Yea i agree.

I've been saying for ages that Yaya is useless unless we have the ball. The top teams are clever and play around him and he ends up getting frustrated.

We need him on the ball in important areas, which is anywhere within Barca's half, but he needs the likes of Garcia Ferna and Milner winning the ball back for him which they are all capable of.

I'm slightly optomistic about tonight, providing we pick the right team for the task ahead.

If we go with two strikers again I think it will be a long night, we HAVE to try and control midfield as best we can. If were still in the game with 15 minutes to go then go with two strikers because Barca will be in full on panic mode like they were before they got their second at our place.

Very very important to not go to mad in the first half and be out of the game by half time. Genuinely think that 0-0 at 60 minutes is fine, and then we can start having a go.

I agree with those who think Yaya would be more effective further forward in this game, however I cannot see Pellegrini doing that right from the start.

Barca, given their "commanding" lead, will set out to play keep ball in the opening 20 minutes, and give City the run around and get those legs working overtime as early as possible, with the occasional burst here and there via Messi & Neymar etc. It's vital that City are still at 0-0 after 20 minutes or so. It's no use goin gung-ho from the off as, in all likeliness, you'll probably find yourself 1 down and that would be game over.

I know Clichy played on Sunday (and made a fuck-up), however I think you need his pace on the pitch from the start tonight, because Kolorov alongside Lescott lacks means there's a severe lack of pace down that side, to which Alves & Messi will be looking to exploit like they normally do. Of course there is a chance Pellegrini could opt for Clichy and Kolorov again.

I would imagine it would be something like this from the off:

Hart
Zabaleta-Kompany-Lescott-Clichy
Milner-Garcia-Yaya
Nasri-Silva
Aguero

More of a 4-3-2-1 just to cement your position in the game and to pretty much ensure you're still in with a chance after 20/30 minutes. Then I think Pellegrini will look at being a little more adventurous - try and push Yaya further forward so he's able to work in the same areas as Nasri & Silva, quick one touch passing, and always looking for the throughballs, and try and get Aguero running in behind or chasing some diagonals, because he's strong enough to hold the ball up against Barca's defense, and then he'll have Yaya, as well as Nasri & Silva, offering support.

Even if it's 0-0 at HT, that wouldn't be a bad situation to be in. Out for the 2nd half like this:

Hart
Milner-Garcia
Nasri-Yaya-Silva
Aguero

And then push the tempo and try to push Barca back if at all possible. Negredo & Navas would be the likely replacements, to inject some strength regards holding up the ball, and Navas to add pace. If Kolorov isn't on from the start, he'll certainly be an option should the outcome be in the balance purely for set pieces, as we know they are an achilles heel of Barca.

An early goal would make Barca sweat big time, however I really cannot see Pellegrini going for it from minute 1. Cement your position in the game and then build from there. Even if you take the lead in the 70th minute, Barca will shit themselves.

You don't have to try and level the tie by busting your bollocks from the first minute. They'll be aware of what City can bring in an attacking form whether it's the 10th minute or the 70th minute. You will get opportunites, and with Aguero on the pitch, you have someone who can take them no matter how rare they come.

sjk2008 said:
I agree with those who think Yaya would be more effective further forward in this game, however I cannot see Pellegrini doing that right from the start.

Barca, given their "commanding" lead, will set out to play keep ball in the opening 20 minutes, and give City the run around and get those legs working overtime as early as possible, with the occasional burst here and there via Messi & Neymar etc. It's vital that City are still at 0-0 after 20 minutes or so. It's no use goin gung-ho from the off as, in all likeliness, you'll probably find yourself 1 down and that would be game over.

I know Clichy played on Sunday (and made a fuck-up), however I think you need his pace on the pitch from the start tonight, because Kolorov alongside Lescott lacks means there's a severe lack of pace down that side, to which Alves & Messi will be looking to exploit like they normally do. Of course there is a chance Pellegrini could opt for Clichy and Kolorov again.

I would imagine it would be something like this from the off:

Hart
Milner-Garcia-Yaya
Nasri-Silva
Aguero

More of a 4-3-2-1 just to cement your position in the game and to pretty much ensure you're still in with a chance after 20/30 minutes. Then I think Pellegrini will look at being a little more adventurous - try and push Yaya further forward so he's able to work in the same areas as Nasri & Silva, quick one touch passing, and always looking for the throughballs, and try and get Aguero running in behind or chasing some diagonals, because he's strong enough to hold the ball up against Barca's defense, and then he'll have Yaya, as well as Nasri & Silva, offering support.

Even if it's 0-0 at HT, that wouldn't be a bad situation to be in. Out for the 2nd half like this:

Hart
Milner-Garcia
Nasri-Yaya-Silva
Aguero

And then push the tempo and try to push Barca back if at all possible. Negredo & Navas would be the likely replacements, to inject some strength regards holding up the ball, and Navas to add pace. If Kolorov isn't on from the start, he'll certainly be an option should the outcome be in the balance purely for set pieces, as we know they are an achilles heel of Barca.

An early goal would make Barca sweat big time, however I really cannot see Pellegrini going for it from minute 1. Cement your position in the game and then build from there. Even if you take the lead in the 70th minute, Barca will shit themselves.

You don't have to try and level the tie by busting your bollocks from the first minute. They'll be aware of what City can bring in an attacking form whether it's the 10th minute or the 70th minute. You will get opportunites, and with Aguero on the pitch, you have someone who can take them no matter how rare they come.
you seem to have left our best player out

chris85mcfc said:
BringBackSwales said:
Milner should play tonight; he won't, but he fucking should

Correct.

In front of Kolarov on the left hand side.

Something along the lines of

Hart

Zabba
Vinny
Lescott
Kolarov

Garcia
Fernandinho

Yaya
Milner
Silva

Sergio

I would play Jimmy where you have got Garcia, and Nasri where you have got Jimmy

I think we should go 4-5-1.

Garcia instead of Lescott. Better on the ground.

Milner in midfield to help release Silva, YaYa and Nasri.

Any news on Jovetic, if he plays at all I think he would be a threat with his close control, vision and that he shoots.

With Pellegrini not on the bench it will be very interesting to see how the players perform. An attacking, winning masterclass would be very nice.

.................Hart.......................

...Zabba.....Komps......Lescott.....Kolarov

...........YaYa........Fernandinho

...........Navas..........Silva...........Nasri

....................Aguero..........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.