Barclays caught fiddling!(All the banks now!)

Re: Barclays caught fiddling!

smudgedj said:
twinkletoes said:
smudgedj said:
The story doing the rounds is:

Bob Diamond has already stated that he didnt interpret Tucker's call to mean that he should lower the lie-bor rate.

Perhaps.

liborft.jpg

Maybe coincidence.

Barclays chairman has said in an interview that the COO, Jerry del Missier did misinterpret what Diamond had said and instructed staff accordingly.

So your chart reflects what del Missier did not Diamond.

twinkletoes said:
smudgedj said:
twinkletoes said:
Bob Diamond has already stated that he didnt interpret Tucker's call to mean that he should lower the lie-bor rate.

Perhaps.

liborft.jpg

Maybe coincidence.

Barclays chairman has said in an interview that the COO, Jerry del Missier did misinterpret what Diamond had said and instructed staff accordingly.

So your chart reflects what del Missier did not Diamond.

Sure. Happens all the time.

Who will rid me of this turbulent priest

I think it's bullshit but that's the only available information we have to consider at the moment.

twinkletoes said:
I think it's bullshit but that's the only available information we have to consider at the moment.

I know, I agree with you. I think it'll come out that the Government were pulling the strings with Barclays and the other banks. I think Diamond went as he 'passed' the instructions on via email and not a face to face conversation.

Hopefully it'll all come out.

smudgedj said:
twinkletoes said:

I know, I agree with you. I think it'll come out that the Government were pulling the strings with Barclays and the other banks. I think Diamond went as he 'passed' the instructions on via email and not a face to face conversation.

Hopefully it'll all come out.

I would be astonished to learn that the government or the BOE did actually instruct Barclays to do something like this.

I can see that things could have been translated into something that they/he wanted to hear rather than what was originally said.

Diamond says the fall in the Libor rate generally, was not due to manipulating the Libor submission after getting a nod and a wink from Paul Tucker, but because two days later Barclays raised £6.7bn from Middle Eastern investors. This improved the bank's standing in the financial markets and lowered its cost of borrowing - which meant it could genuinely lower its Libor submissions.

Michael Fallon asks how Jerry del Missier, another senior executive at Barclays who resigned on Tuesday, could have misconstrued the conversation Diamond had with Paul Tucker. "I can't put myself in Jerry's shoes," says Diamond.

It looks like Diamond isnt going to nail anybody apart from Barclays themselves.

Diamond admits he only discovered that "low-balling" - lowering the Libor price - was going on this month.

It looks like the BOE and the last government are in the clear after this admission

Executives and former executives of the Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds Banking Group, HSBC and Barclays are at risk of criminal action, including possible extradition to the United States, in the wake of evidence of their concerted attempts to rig global interest rates, according to senior legal experts.

RBS, Lloyds and HSBC are also facing even larger fines than Barclays’ £290 million fine because of their involvement in the alleged international cartel.

William K Black, an associate professor of economics and law at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, told the Sunday Herald that anyone who is found to have manipulated Libor or condoned such practices at a senior level in a bank should face criminal prosecution. He suggested UK based directors and staff, such as the former RBS chief executive Fred Goodwin, could be liable for extradition to the US.

Black, a world-leading expert on financial crime said:

“The reports of systematic falsification of Libor reports, if accurate, constitute felonies under US antitrust law that should be prosecuted vigorously, as should the systematic cover up.”

The US Justice Department has confirmed its criminal division is investigating banks other than Barclays. It said:

“The Justice Department’s criminal investigation into the manipulation of Libor and Euribor by other financial institutions and individuals is on-going.”

Industry sources said executives from Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds and RBS are at risk of extradition hearings, since evidence suggests that US dollar Libor was was one of the benchmarks that was manipulated. Seventy percent of the $500 trillion global swaps market is based on US dollar Libor, with American counterparties likely to have been most affected.

Yippee! *skips and dances*

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ianfraser.org/the-wages-of-sin-bankers-on-the-fiddle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ianfraser.org/the-wages-of-s ... he-fiddle/</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.