Barry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>De Jong

I like them both to be honest.

I agree that Barry can play the better pass, but De Jong has an engine that will run and run all game. I also think Barry is the better footballer, but De Jong is more consistent.

Both are defensive minds, but both are very different. I couldn't pick between the two of them

Interstate 5 said:
Those stats are meaningless anyway without considering:

How many games. Bit obvious, but the OP hasn't even stated that..
Standard of opposition.
Style of play of opposition - long ball teams? Teams that play down the wings? Teams that play it on the ground through the middle?
How long the ball spent in our half - for instance, you wouldn't expect De Jong to make many tackles if we were playing Dagenham, but you'd expect Barry to make a lot if we were playing Chelsea.
Who else played in OUR team - Tevez tracks back and tackles, Ireland not so much so, Ade barely goes past the halfway line, so who played just in front of the midfield?
Card-happy refs? Cup games? "Big" matches?

Stats should only ever be compared as a small part of overall analysis. Using stats to compare players is worthless without taking into account the other 21 players on the pitch. And six possible subs. And the job the manager asked the player to do. And the way he wanted his team to play. And the ref. And the conditions. And the context of the game. And... well, you get the picture.

Worthless.

Over the whole PL season, just for you I will find out how many minutes each played..........

Barry: 2994
De Jong: 2627

If you really want I can scale the stats so that De jong played the same amount of minutes as Barry but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

-- Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:08 pm --

blue_paul said:
I'd sell De Jong if we got the chance. Firstly, for a supposed defensive midfielder, his tackling is often reckless and mis-timed. He offers absolutely nothing in an offensive sense and cannot play as part of a 4 man midfield.
People rate him because they see him as some kind of destroyer but as has been alluded to previously already on this thread, we need far more dynamic midfielders at City, not the ridiculously limited Nigel I'm afraid.
Claude Makelele has a lot to answer for. He has made these one dimensional 'holding players' fashionable and people who seem to know very little bout the game spout on about how every good side needs a De Jong or a Mascherano where the truth is you need midfielders to do a hell of a lot more, no matter what championship manager or sky sports tell you.
Barry does look sluggish too but he's an asset if he can gt himself sharp.

I await the hordes to tell me I haven't got clue but I'd prefer a rational argument against my point.

Just to say if De Jong was a mascherano it would be fine:
these are Masherano's stats:

Mascherano made 178 Tackles (almost 3x as many as NDJ)
And 60 fouls (almost 2x as many as NDJ)

He also completed the second most passes in the league.

Mascherano is in a different league to De Jong. any comparison between him and De Jong is simply laughable.

foolsgold* said:
Interstate 5 said:
Those stats are meaningless anyway without considering:

How many games. Bit obvious, but the OP hasn't even stated that..
Standard of opposition.
Style of play of opposition - long ball teams? Teams that play down the wings? Teams that play it on the ground through the middle?
How long the ball spent in our half - for instance, you wouldn't expect De Jong to make many tackles if we were playing Dagenham, but you'd expect Barry to make a lot if we were playing Chelsea.
Who else played in OUR team - Tevez tracks back and tackles, Ireland not so much so, Ade barely goes past the halfway line, so who played just in front of the midfield?
Card-happy refs? Cup games? "Big" matches?

Stats should only ever be compared as a small part of overall analysis. Using stats to compare players is worthless without taking into account the other 21 players on the pitch. And six possible subs. And the job the manager asked the player to do. And the way he wanted his team to play. And the ref. And the conditions. And the context of the game. And... well, you get the picture.

Worthless.

also where the stats came from..?? noone asked that yet?

I would also like to know that aswell.

the problem some cant seem to fathom is the fact barry and de jong are 2 completely different kind of players just as some seem to be trying to compare ireland to milner.

oh and barry can do what he has just done score goals!!!!!!

leewill31 said:
the problem some cant seem to fathom is the fact barry and de jong are 2 completely different kind of players just as some seem to be trying to compare ireland to milner.

Because NdJ's presence allows Barry to get forward, while he sits in DM position.

They've both been forward, to be fair.

Bigga said:
leewill31 said:

Because NdJ's presence allows Barry to get forward, while he sits in DM position.

They've both been forward, to be fair.

yes i agree as i said though they both have different roles in the team and should not be compared oh and barry knows that the ball goes between the 2 sticks! :)

Forget stats Dejong is a better defensive midefield player than Barry...no questions. He does more running in that team than anyone, including tevez.

How many times last season did you think De jong bullied that midfield...think Chelsea game ect

Invisible_Goat said:
Forget stats Dejong is a better defensive midefield player than Barry...no questions. He does more running in that team than anyone, including tevez.

How many times last season did you think De jong bullied that midfield...think Chelsea game ect

I am currently trying to find the distance run by each player, if I find out I will tell you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.