Basic People Management Skills

strongbowholic said:
redmizzle said:
Sir Alex has poor man management skills then.
I'd say yes he has poor man mangement skills.

The haridryer? Kicking a boot across the room? Smashing tea cups?

He's created a siege mentality over the years at the swamp and a climate of fear. When I was at school, that was called bullying. If that's good man-management, then I'm doing my job wrong.

Someone alluded to Blanchard's Situational Leadership earlier in the thread and they were spot on. You adapt your management style based on where the individual is on their career progression.

There is no 'one size fits all' style of management.

Again, I appreciate some may be concerned by the perception that is being created in the media by players coming out and talking openly to the press about their concerns.

However, whilst I don't know for sure what is going on at the club as I am not ITK, I'd be pretty confident those players are being somewhat disingenuous by airing their grievances this way.

Those players are between a rock and a hard place. They move and they move down the football chain, on less money with less chance of honours and watch as we go and fulfill our potential. Or they sit tight and play the bit part they are inveitably going to play, collect fabulous wages and medals along the way for their trouble, simmering all the while in the belief they should be playing every minute of every game.

That said, those players will unlikely be a problem come January.

I think Mancini is begining to mirror Ferguson in style at times.

Ferguson built his teams on fear,no doubt-but the fear of playing for a "smaller" club if you didn't follow his code and instructions to the letter.
Ferguson has propogated the media perception of the rags as the only place to play,and that oft-used self proclaimed "once you leave here you're on the way down."
Add that to a track record of winning,and as much as I hate to say it he's managed the whole situation to his advantage when buying players for years.
Players bought into his methods and signed for the rags because they were successful.They may have thought him an arrogant bully deep down-but if "I follow what he says I'll win XYZ."

You simply can't act the way he has at a "lesser" club,or without a track record...modern players would piss themselves.

I still feel that was Hughes' biggest problem.

Mancini is beging to do the same thing-follow me,I'm a winner.
Go out on your own,moan and complain to the papares,break the rules,go big-time...you get shown the door.
Rapidly.
And now players have to consider that if they leave City-where do they go next?
Chelsea,Barca or Madrid are probably the only three clubs who look like they may be a step above us as a current career option...
And if they can't afford or don't want you....well you get your head down matey-we're the best bet of winning trophies you're ever going to have.

Just like Ferguson did at the rags.....painful to admit but true.

It might not be pretty-but I believe it's slowly embedding itself as the accepted work culture at the club.
And it's working.

I've heard it called a FIFO culture.

Fit in or fuck off.

It only works if you are hugely successful, of course.

Didsbury Dave said:

Fit in or fuck off.

Or are you only successful if you operate that policy?

It's the old chicken or egg syndrome.

It seems any Italian gets demolished over here, no matter who they are.

Forgetting of course, they have done courses run by an FA that has 5 World champions stars on their shirts and a club set up that has the equal of ours.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/colum...and-now-he-will-lose-his-job-115875-22528882/

Maybe its time time we did listen to what they say and actually watch what they do. We may learn something.

I wont hold my breathe though.

Didsbury Dave said:

Fit in or fuck off.

I don't think it's that simple. Every organisation has ground rules and minimum expectations.

I think the difference between Inter of the mid 90's (an overpaid, underachieving grotesque display of big names, money and vanity), and of the 00's (proud, determined, winning), can be distilled into the idea of 'respect'. Respect for the club, team-mates, owners, manager, respect for the contract. All the money in the world only attracts more shysters who have no intention of showing your club any respect.

Indeed, at one stage, with Robinho, it appeared we were going down that path. So we're reversing a recent trend, which means altering the expectations and demands of people already here, people who came from other clubs, where things may have been very different (for example, the soap opera that is Newcastle). The idea that this is going to happen without any friction or misunderstanding, is surely pie in the sky. It's a work in progress.

Respecting your contractual situation in public, and respecting your team mates and the club (not to mention the manager), by addressing your problems internally, are fair ground rules.

The manager's situation is somewhat difficult as he is regularly expected to offer his opinion in public. He has to remain cautious, but at the same time, avoiding every tricky issue, offering nothing but platitudes, makes you appear weak and afraid of confronting issues. It's not possible for someone like this to 'lead'.

Mourinho is a perfect example. He's outspoken on any number of topics... sometimes to a comical, if not dangerous degree. But it's part of his style. It projects complete fearlessness, which is transmitted to the players. I'd prefer Mancini to be a bit spikey, I find myself forgiving most mistakes, and am often struck by his openness. He rarely goes over the boundaries, and always makes a point of showing great respect to his players. He's not perfect but he's not constantly playing down expectations, making self-serving excuses, and he's not getting bogged down in the minutia, or worrying how every single comment can be misconstrued by someone. He's confident and focused.

If players aren't showing respect to the club, we tend to know about it. I don't think that's accidental. It seems to me that he tends to win all of these battles one way or another. Players make the same mistakes over and over by entering the conflict with someone who is expected to speak publicly. They aren't, so their comments are viewed differently. They usually end up making fools out of themselves by openly displaying a lack of respect to the club, or pathetic self-interest.

The manager is okay as long as he shows he is thinking about the team and the club. Players tend to think about themselves, and when they display this tendency in public there is little sympathy for them. That's the way it goes. It surprises me that so many otherwise intelligent players are completely ignorant of that reality.

I can understand seeing this stuff played out in public is not to everyone's taste, but there is probably a reason it happens that way. The messages are sent out far and wide. It seems to me we are moving towards a situation where respect for 'the club' is the norm. You can't expect respect from other clubs, players, the media, the FA, UEFA, unless the club shows self-respect. You can argue that self-respect means avoiding any bad publicity.. but I don't think people are that easily fooled. Having players who respect each other, the owners, the manager, the directors, respect their contracts... that's the real deal, that's what translates into professional, consistent displays on the pitch... and that's what other people respect, that's what makes you a 'big' 'serious' club, and it's what makes the weaker clubs and teams feel inadequate before they've even kicked a ball.

Cheesy said:
Didsbury Dave said:
If it happened once or maybe twice, fair enough mate.

But we've had Bellamy, Ireland, Tevez, Adebayor, Petrov, Onuoha and Given all saying the same thing publically. Several others in private.

There is a problem. Taking aside the point I keep making about squad unity, the last thing we need is negative press which we bring on ourselves.

Only the manager can stop this.

Bellamy - Trouble wherever he's been
Adebayor - Trouble wherever he's been
Ireland - Not good enough, not wanted & mental
Petrov - Not good enough & not wanted
Onuoha - Not good enough(?)
Given - Not as good as Joe & not one for the future

All players with a reason to have a go. Surely this says something.

Tevez - I only really remember him saying he didn't agree with some of the training regime.

whether they are good enough or whether they have caused trouble at their previous teams or not is irrelevant...they are all saying the same thing...that RM doesnt communicate with his squad....shay given is a seasoned pro and has never been a trouble causer....and what about what viera said..he said that when he worked with RM previously he never really had a relationship with him either.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.