Bayern Munich vs. City Post-Match Discussion Thread

Bayern have a very talented squad but I think we showed that their back line is a long way short of the rest of the squad. Guardiola clearly wants them to play like Barcelona, but I don't think that suits some of their players, especially when they don't have a striker in the box. Pellegrini picked a team to carry on preparations for the coming season and I was alarmed when we started without Ya Ya and David and with Boyata, but the latter soon became Dedryk again as he played very well! His booking was a spiteful reaction for taking the ball off Ribery too easily! Kompany was the Vinnie of old, and though their numbers in midfield allowed them to dominate possession we were very well organised at the back and they never really posed a goal scoring threat. I think we all knew YaYa would come on at half time, and he made an enormous difference. He and Fernandinho play well together and, when they're both on the pitch together against good sides, away from home, Gareth Barry can do what he does best too. Jovetic had looked very good in the first half when we actually got at all decent ball to him, and I think Samir Nasri is a different player when he is further up field behind the striker. Negredo is a handful and Jesus is just straightforward trouble! That Bayern back line looked wobbly and leaky and we looked good going forward. Negredo's was a good, well taken goal but a very simple, effective through ball! The penalty.... I was more concerned about their "winner", but no cause for complaint with the way we played, and real cause for quiet satisfaction. I can't see a side in the PL which is as good as Munich.

IMO it provided more ammo for the Richards v Zabba debate. Richards for me is the better all round player. I think Zabba was poor yesterday which is a rarity other than FA Cup where even Clichy looked like turd.

Penalty was a joke but such is life, much like Richards by Liverpool in 11/12 semis where we got done for a handball that was blatantly ball to hand. That's football though, you win some and lose some. I am happy with our second half, CL champion and 3 new signings yet we equalled them minus the penalty without Lescott or Nasty but instead using Boyata, no Silva or Aguero too.

I rate Pep but I feel he may undo that team if he tries to change a working system.

sh249 said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Decent performance against a very strong team.
Thought Navas looked amazing when he came on.
Bet he is the most fouled player this season coming.
Signing of the summer imo
Imagine if we had a left winger like him.

Only negative was Nasri-again..Did fuck all for me.
Pants in net was superb.I actually feel more confident with him between the sticks than Hart at the moment

Seriously? Second only to Vinnie, for me. Involved in pretty much everything good we did, created 2/3 good chances for Negredo, unlucky with the one-on-one with Neuer, good goal wrongly disallowed.

I thought his performance, esp. 2nd half, was one of the major positives - looks like we have three great options to play in that position behind the striker (Jovetic, Silva, Nasri), all of whom offer something different.

Nasri contributed much more than Jovetic when moved to that position & was one of the best players on the pitch 2nd half. His workrate was also fantastic. He clearly isn't as good when stuck out wide, so it's time to let him show what he can do in his correct position.

NipHolmes said:
Penalty was a joke but such is life, much like Richards by Liverpool in 11/12 semis where we got done for a handball that was blatantly ball to hand.
Nothing like the Richards penalty where Richards had his arms in front of him and down while Zabaleta had his arm up and behind and it changed the direction of the ball. With Richards, the ball deflected off his leg onto his arm and was in no way his fault. If it hadn't hit his arm it would have hit his face and it wouldn't have given Liverpool an advantage anyway.

west didsblue said:
NipHolmes said:
Penalty was a joke but such is life, much like Richards by Liverpool in 11/12 semis where we got done for a handball that was blatantly ball to hand.
Nothing like the Richards penalty where Richards had his arms in front of him and down while Zabaleta had his arm up and behind and it changed the direction of the ball. With Richards, the ball deflected off his leg onto his arm and was in no way his fault. If it hadn't hit his arm it would have hit his face and it wouldn't have given Liverpool an advantage anyway.

The question of advantage is irrelevant. The laws of the game demand that the handball be deliberate. This didn't stop Michael Owen demanding that a different law be applied, but then...The point with Micah at Anfield was that the ball cannoned off his knee and hit his arm and there was no way on earth he could have avoided the ball, especially as he had tucked his arms in to avoid any possibility of intent. This is a point of similarity with Zaba who was off balance, hence arm in the air and the ball travelled a foot behind him before hitting his hand. Zaba's "handball" would actually have given City a disadvantage! UEFA should stress that ball to hand is not handball unless the player shows some intent to use his hands, such as by spreading himself to provide a bigger obstacle.

west didsblue said:
NipHolmes said:
Neither were meant hence my point

mammutly said:
For some people, poor performances in pre season games count for nothing, whereas good performances are taken as proof positive that players are next seasons world beaters. I don't get that.
Again, would you have written that contrary post 12 months ago?

What is interesting to note having just looked on rag cafe's thread of the game, every single rag claimed it was a soft penalty from a homer ref. Odd that our rivals disagree with some of our own fans on that.

west didsblue said:
Course it was a penalty. For example if a player stood in the box in a wall jumps up for a free kick and his arms are out for balance and the ball hits an arm preventing a goal, a penalty would definitely correctly be given. If a player has his arms anywhere other than at his side when the ball hits, a penalty should be given. The rules should be clarified to cover such situations.

Course it was. If it had been at the other end you would have heard no complaints from me, stone wall. 99% of refs on the planet would have given it.<br /><br />-- Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:14 am --<br /><br />
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
Bayern have a very talented squad but I think we showed that their back line is a long way short of the rest of the squad. Guardiola clearly wants them to play like Barcelona, but I don't think that suits some of their players, especially when they don't have a striker in the box. Pellegrini picked a team to carry on preparations for the coming season and I was alarmed when we started without Ya Ya and David and with Boyata, but the latter soon became Dedryk again as he played very well! His booking was a spiteful reaction for taking the ball off Ribery too easily! Kompany was the Vinnie of old, and though their numbers in midfield allowed them to dominate possession we were very well organised at the back and they never really posed a goal scoring threat. I think we all knew YaYa would come on at half time, and he made an enormous difference. He and Fernandinho play well together and, when they're both on the pitch together against good sides, away from home, Gareth Barry can do what he does best too. Jovetic had looked very good in the first half when we actually got at all decent ball to him, and I think Samir Nasri is a different player when he is further up field behind the striker. Negredo is a handful and Jesus is just straightforward trouble! That Bayern back line looked wobbly and leaky and we looked good going forward. Negredo's was a good, well taken goal but a very simple, effective through ball! The penalty.... I was more concerned about their "winner", but no cause for complaint with the way we played, and real cause for quiet satisfaction. I can't see a side in the PL which is as good as Munich.

Very good point. Bild today said "Pep has his starting eleven but needs to tweak the defence a bit. Tbf Martinez had played midfield all last season, we are on the right path and City have quality forwards who will always test you.

About the Bayern backline...

You have too look how far they were in the preparation and how fit the players were. Guardiola in my eyes made the mistake not too change to Boateng and van Buyten earlier as this two are matchfit. Dante and Martinez played to long for their fitness level.

Martinez had his 5th or 6th training day, played 50 minutes Wednesday and yesterday again. He has not played defense for a year and never partnered Dante.

Dante - he 2 or 3 trainings days more, played 10 minutes in the Super Cup.

Schweinsteiger - has his first appearances and gets a slow start after his surgery. He is not fully matchfit and up like the others right now. And he never played together with Thiago. He is important but maybe playing Wednesday and again such a long time on Thursday was too much, too. I was surprised that Kirchhoff, his substitute, did so well afterwards.

Your goal would never have happened in the same situation when Boateng would have played instead of Martinez as Negredo would not have run him away.

---------

But there is still a lot of work Bayern has to do.

Maldeika said:
About the Bayern backline...

You have too look how far they were in the preparation and how fit the players were. Guardiola in my eyes made the mistake not too change to Boateng and van Buyten earlier as this two are matchfit. Dante and Martinez played to long for their fitness level.

Martinez had his 5th or 6th training day, played 50 minutes Wednesday and yesterday again. He has not played defense for a year and never partnered Dante.

Dante - he 2 or 3 trainings days more, played 10 minutes in the Super Cup.

Schweinsteiger - has his first appearances and gets a slow start after his surgery. He is not fully matchfit and up like the others right now. And he never played together with Thiago. He is important but maybe playing Wednesday and again such a long time on Thursday was too much, too. I was surprised that Kirchhoff, his substitute, did so well afterwards.

Your goal would never have happened in the same situation when Boateng would have played instead of Martinez as Negredo would not have run him away.

---------

But there is still a lot of work Bayern has to do.
Well we should have still scored with our other golden chances. We missed Silva, Aguero, Nastasic and you had double the amount of pre season games we had. Your goals "would never have happened" if that **** didn't decide to cheat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.