Bayern post match thread

Exeter Blue I am here said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Kidding ourselves.

Bayern were able to keep us at arms length with half a team missing.

Even United gave them a game last season, so let's not try to sugar coat it was the mighty Bayern.

The tactics were poor, the mentality is still to hope for the best, and see what we can get away with.

But for Joe, it could easily have been four or five on another day.

As well as the mentality, I don't think City's squad composition is sufficiently balanced either. There's a lack of mobility in the attacking midfield areas in particular. Navas is quick but has no trickery whatsoever (if there's a defender in the way, he'll seldom go past him), Nasri lacks power, pace and tenacity, Silva, magician though he may be, is another who can't carry the ball past an opponent, Milner hasn't got the pace for it either, and Toure at the moment is an embarrassment. I'd kill for a Marcus Reus or a Raheem Sterling in that City midfield, someone to steam past opponents.
We get away with the slow tempo possession game in the Premier League, because the players mentioned are so technically superior to most of the blood and thunder merchants we face, but in Europe, athleticism and pace to both defend and counterattack efficiently are pre-requisites and to a crucial degree, we're lacking. As things stand at the moment we might as well take the field with 9 men as start with Ya Ya and Nasri

The only player that I can think of in our EDS squad that has the Sterling-like ability to dribble past a player is Brandon Barker. He is a year or so younger than Sterling, but then Sterling was given a chance at a very young age. I wouldn't mind seeing Barker given a chance in the Cup games. He could well surprise a lot of people and he does have that x-factor.

It would be of been a slightly different outcome if Pellergrini wasn't banned from the touchline. We were relying on both Cousillas and Kidd to make on the spot tactical decisions and substitutions for that game.

Ray78 said:
It would be of been a slightly different outcome if Pellergrini wasn't banned from the touchline. We were relying on both Cousillas and Kidd to make on the spot tactical decisions and substitutions.

There is an answer to that. Don't get yourself fucking banned.

Can't believe how deep we played last night it didn't give the midfield a chance to press the ball quickly also the team selection was shocking nasri and yaya don't run we could have done with dropping 1 for milner. Doesn't look like pellers is learning by his mistakes and hasn't got the balls to drop yaya!

BobKowalski said:
Ray78 said:
It would be of been a slightly different outcome if Pellergrini wasn't banned from the touchline. We were relying on both Cousillas and Kidd to make on the spot tactical decisions and substitutions.

It was another strange refereeing performance that made Pellergrini speak out after the Barcelona game.

we need to stamp authority on CL games, especially on big CL games and take the game to opposition and play the style we are used to, because its always that we have a panicky start and then opposition takes the game to us and we continue to panic etc. we will continue to struggle in Europe if we allow them to take the game to us.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
As well as the mentality, I don't think City's squad composition is sufficiently balanced either. There's a lack of mobility in the attacking midfield areas in particular. Navas is quick but has no trickery whatsoever (if there's a defender in the way, he'll seldom go past him), Nasri lacks power, pace and tenacity, Silva, magician though he may be, is another who can't carry the ball past an opponent, Milner hasn't got the pace for it either, and Toure at the moment is an embarrassment. I'd kill for a Marcus Reus or a Raheem Sterling in that City midfield, someone to steam past opponents.
We get away with the slow tempo possession game in the Premier League, because the players mentioned are so technically superior to most of the blood and thunder merchants we face, but in Europe, athleticism and pace to both defend and counterattack efficiently are pre-requisites and to a crucial degree, we're lacking. As things stand at the moment we might as well take the field with 9 men as start with Ya Ya and Nasri

It's the team Mancini built and to some extent for better or for worse it will take time to evolve it. I agree though completely that there's a ridiculous lack of foresight in ONLY having Nasri as the left sided attacking option with Milner to come in when he's injured. It's been said many times but look at the pace, power, and technique which Madrid, Barca, Bayern have in wide areas and then compare it with us - we're behind and it's why we've struggled against those sides at times.

I realise there's a lot you can pick apart after a loss and a lot you can learn but i do think we're in danger (on blue moon) of throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. We need dynamic players to be able to slot in in place of Nasri and Yaya and we need better fullbacks (Zaba's the only one good enough at both aspects of what a fullbacks job is in our system). However we are only behind Bayern, Barca, and Madrid. All other teams in Europe (maybe with the exception of PSG) have more weaknesses than us.

Surely we'll see some serious spending in January/next summer to rectify the weaknesses properly.

Ray78 said:
BobKowalski said:
Ray78 said:

It was another strange refereeing performance that made Pellergrini speak out after the Barcelona game.

Pellers didn't just speak out he lost the plot with some bizarre attack on Sweden and lizards. Everyone knows the score. You can criticise the ref in a way that doesn't get you banned. If you do it in a way that gets you banned then I have zero sympathy.

The bare facts of the match are that Bayern Munich beat Manchester City 1-0 in the Allianz Arena, Munich, with a goal in the 90th minute. The rest is interpretation. The papers, pundits (in the main) and even some of our cry baby fans with anger issues scream that Munich dominated possession, controlled the midfield even with a weakened team and showed that City are a long way from joining the upper echelons of European football. Whereas Arsenal, Chelsea, even Liverpool and especially poor, lamented Manchester United have that pedigree which is so important in this competition. Such views are suited only to making my roses grow.

"If there ever was a good time to take on the German champions at the Allianz, perhaps this was it.." because of an apparent lack of zip in bundesliga games", world cup fatigue and "several high profile injuries". Well, our fans have observed a lack of zip in our play, and there's more than a suspicion of world cup fatigue as a cause. Their team was "weakened" by injuries, to the extent that it only had 6 world cup winners playing, and one of their "injuries" came on he was able to show that his complaint had in no way damaged his ability to perform pirouettes, salkos and swallow dives. And, of course, we daren't point out that Zaba was absent through suspension for asking why physical assaults on our players didn't count for penalties when performed in the Nou Camp - just as they don't in the Allianz when performed to stop David Silva getting the winner. Fernando was injure too, but we mustn't mention that because he was bought specifically to patrol that inviting space in front of the back four which we (and Munich) noticed caused us such problems against good (and some not so good, early last season) sides, especially away. And Sergio didn't play either for 90 minutes. Then there's Ya Ya. Of course, we have those on here who argue that he's lazy and doesn't care - this in the face of last season's experience and that of all the big games he's turned in our favour over the years. He doesn't look fit to me, maybe he's still suffering from the family tragedy which struck in the summer?

But was the defeat such a disgrace? In Munich, 1-0, a last minute winner, a shot going well wide,deflected off the back of a Munich player. This century Arsenal are well practised in elimination at the hands of Bayern. They have played them in 3 separate tournaments, a total of 6 matches, of which Arsenal have won 2, drawn one and lost 3, but, significantly Munich have eliminated them on every occasion. Liverpool have never met them. Manchester United have met them on four occasions spread evenly through this century, a total of eight games. Those fans who argue so passionately that we are out of our depth "at that level" have racked up the incomparable total of one (that is ONE) win in those eight meetings, and have not eliminated Bayern on any occasion. Liverpool have, of course, been spared the ignominy of playing them, and only Chelsea have actually eliminated Bayern - on aggregate in 2004-5 (one win each) and, of course, on penalties in Munich in the final of 2012. I might add that "the world's biggest club" has a miserable record against the other teams at whose hands we have suffered - Barcelona and Real. United have actually eliminated Real from the tournament, back in 1968 for the one and only time, and they did eliminate a weakened Barca side in 2008, but who can forget the football lessons they were given in 2009 and 2011?!

The fact is that City are the victims of the seeding system which means we have played one of the"big three" in all four group stages, plus the "other" finalist. United and Arsenal are protected from meeting such teams in the group stage though Arsenal are getting into the habit of elimination as soon as given the opportunity to play Bayern. United have been eliminated every time they have met one of the big three (or big five if you include Benfica and Basel - who then lost 7-0 to Bayern in the Allianz!). Had City been gifted groups like the others (and Liverpool this year) have been gifted we would have a completely different view. We would have been eliminated by Bayern in 2013-4 as we were by Barca, but last night's result would have been acclaimed if it were in the knock out rounds. We certainly do no worse than those English clubs with pedigree! And I think we're forced to accept two conclusions: the "big" teams we play in the group are actually very good, especially at home and, secondly, they actually take care of the other English teams ( with no exceptions, since Chelsea in 2011-12) with greater ease. We are England's best team, but not yet Europe's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.