Bayern post match thread

tonea2003 said:
xirtarg said:
gelly said:
Which Bayern players would get into the City team?

I think you have to look at their players as a unit and see how they work together. They don't have a player that doesn't work hard for the team, and unfortunately, we sometimes do. Their mentality is what is sought after by most clubs as they are motivated regardless of their oponents (usually) whereas we still sometimes get a bit lazy/overawed depending who we're facing.

Also, look at how many times they changed formation last night and how adaptable their players were. How many of our players would be able to do that?

The "how many players would get in our team" question is flawed as we aren't the same type of team as Bayern so their personnel is right for them, and ours is nearly right for us.

(I'd still have Alaba though, and Neuer)

and lahm,robben,muller,goetze........

I agree with you in he most part, but I can't stand Robben just for the simple fact that he walks like he has a massive log ready to drop out from his arsehole at any second! I'm probably just jealous because I can't hold my shit up that long.

Getting bored of losing to these so called elite teams in Europe .
Bayern were under strength and we should have taken advantage .
That goal by Boetang could have been avoided .
Where do we go from here ?
Still gutted after this result .
I get the sense we haven't learned are lessons from previous defeats to Real Madrid , Dortmund and Barcelona .
Will we learn ?

jollylescott said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Kidding ourselves.

Bayern were able to keep us at arms length with half a team missing.

Even United gave them a game last season, so let's not try to sugar coat it was the mighty Bayern.

The tactics were poor, the mentality is still to hope for the best, and see what we can get away with.

But for Joe, it could easily have been four or five on another day.

That's right. They had their reserve midfield and no Robben or Ribery.

I actually think that not having Zab on the pitch makes a huge difference in regard to the mentality of the team. His iron will permeates the team. Without that stoic presence we lack that killer instinct.

Not to mention his irrepressible willingness to get forward with his overlapping runs. Sagna was bloody awful last night and I agree Zabba would have made a big difference.

blueparrot said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Kidding ourselves.

Even United gave them a game last season, so let's not try to sugar coat it was the mighty Bayern.

The tactics were poor, the mentality is still to hope for the best, and see what we can get away with.

While there a fair bit of truth in that assesment, I think we are only one more year and 2 signings away from being at the level of Bayern, if we can get Pogba or Barkley in place of Yaya and add Reus. Plus a fit Fernando I think we will compete.

But they had several key players missing and still competed. No doubt if we had every single one of out first choice players available, plus Fernando and Barklay, we'd do better. But that's unrealistic - you always have key players missing. The bare facts are we had enough talent on the pitch last night to not only win that game but to boss it. The fact that we fell so short of doing that is really disappointing.

Chippy_boy said:
jollylescott said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Kidding ourselves.

I actually think that not having Zab on the pitch makes a huge difference in regard to the mentality of the team. His iron will permeates the team. Without that stoic presence we lack that killer instinct.

Not to mention his irrepressible willingness to get forward with his overlapping runs. Sagna was bloody awful last night and I agree Zabba would have made a big difference.

Very harsh on sagna thought he played well last night never gonna be a zabba but did well last night.

Chippy_boy said:
jollylescott said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Kidding ourselves.

Did Arsenal fans rate him because from what I have seen so far he looks average to say the least.

MAin problem is still that we have our own style that cant be played effectively in CL vs decent or world class teams.
Whats good in PL most weeks isnt good in CL.

While Bayern, Barca, Real doesnt have to change awful lot from their usual gamestyle. For us its very clear we have to opt for a less attacking, more stable midfield or we are just dominated big time.

Maybe if we have Fernando is not a good excuse because maybe if they have Ribery he would have ripped apart Sagna and deliver great crosses or go inside and score two on his own...

This loss was far from disaster tho. Disaster would be finishing behind Roma in the group even if its just on goal difference.

5 strong performances needed in 5 another group games. Its all about 6 games, you dont have 2-3 matches to make mistakes. You are punished very fast in CL, fuck up the first 2 games and you have to play the next 4 under immense pressure to deliver or go to Europa League. If we dont want that we better beat Roma next round and get 6 points vs Moscow. Thats 9 points after 4 games, but its still very open.
If we want to operate with less than 9 points after 4 games thats a big risk in terms of going trough.

DruryBlue said:
york away to this! said:
DruryBlue said:
Guardian post match comment:

Thanks, in particular, to several fine saves by Hart, City appeared on course for the draw that they prioritised but eventually Bayern were rewarded for their attacking intent and Boateng, of all people, plundered an excellent winning goal. City’s chance of getting out of the group, let alone winning it, have taken a dent.

Spot the Rag.

...and your assessment differs where, exactly?

City played for the draw - at what point did we sit back? We would have taken a draw yes, but it's not in our make-up to play for a draw (not really sure how any team can).

My 'rag' comment was based on the having read the rest of the commentary, so I should have given that context.
Are you being serious here?

We hardly got out of our own half 2nd half.

After 4 years, maybe it can simply be said that our brand of football doesn't work in Europe? Pellegrini has improved our style of football but there are still many similarities to the Mancini era. It's beaten CSKA, Plzen and a few others, but we have lost most of our biggest matches and even the two we won were against already qualified Bayern who fielded a weakened side in 11/12 and were so complacent last year that Pep used it as a lesson to the team.

We go forward so slowly in Europe and yesterday had our chances to break but stalled. Actually, our best attacking performance against a big team was away at Real Madrid when we countered more effectively and Dzeko scored. We scored 2 goals that day but still struggled against an attacking blitz (29 shots to 8) with Joe Hart again on form, then our concentration let us down and we conceded 3 goals in 15 minutes.

The teams that win the Champions League, except Chelsea who won through sheer grit and luck, play with a high tempo - whether that is fast direct football or fast passing football. Barcelona's pace of passing was unbelievable at their peak, plus the X factor of Messi. Pep Guardiola is THE 'tika taka' coach and his teams pass you to despair, yet look at how he also used pace, width and long shots. They overloaded our flanks. Our closest thing to a Robben or Di Maria or Bale is Navas, who is fantastic in certain situations and matches (Arsenal, Spurs), but is not an elite level player.

LoveCity said:
After 4 years, maybe it can simply be said that our brand of football doesn't work in Europe? Pellegrini has improved our style of football but there are still many similarities to the Mancini era. It's beaten CSKA, Plzen and a few others, but we have lost most of our biggest matches and even the two we won were against already qualified Bayern who fielded a weakened side in 11/12 and were so complacent last year that Pep used it as a lesson to the team.

We go forward so slowly in Europe and yesterday had our chances to break but stalled. Actually, our best attacking performance against a big team was away at Real Madrid when we countered more effectively and Dzeko scored. We scored 2 goals that day but still struggled against an attacking blitz (29 shots to 8) with Joe Hart again on form, then our concentration let us down and we conceded 3 goals in 15 minutes.

The teams that win the Champions League, except Chelsea who won through sheer grit and luck, play with a high tempo - whether that is fast direct football or fast passing football. Barcelona's pace of passing was unbelievable at their peak, plus the X factor of Messi. Pep Guardiola is THE 'tika taka' coach and his teams pass you to despair, yet look at how he also used pace, width and long shots. They overloaded our flanks. Our closest thing to a Robben or Di Maria or Bale is Navas, who is fantastic in certain situations and matches (Arsenal, Spurs), but is not an elite level player.

Read many many posts saying if it wasnt for Hart etc etc - which saves would you not have expected a premier league goalkepper to make? The Muller header was his best save and was down his throat. Or to put it another way I would have been disappointed if any of those werent saved. He obviously had zero chance with the goal. Hart didnt do anything he shouldnt be doing so to say he saved us from a 2,3 or even 4 goal defeat is wide of the mark.

We are missing something in these games. Dzeko did ok but isnt good enough to be playing a lone striker role, Aguero doesnt have the presence to play up front on his own and it would be sucide to play them both. Yaya had a bad game and Nasri was ineffective. This is pretty much the pattern for all our defeats in europe against the big boys. 11 v 11 we are really overrun but also rarely on top. We really need a Yaya performance from last years league campaign in a big game in europe becuaw I cant recall seeing one. I do not recall Nasri have a good game against anyone major in europe. Thats 2 players playing below average and Im afraid you cannot do that against the top ten sides. Next time out hopefully we can have the two Ferns with Yaya in a number 10 role dropping when we havent got the ball which will give us presence up front and allow Aguero to play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.