Bayern post match thread

For me we miss that big player in Europe who does something different to win a game. For some reason our "big game" players have never really stood up in Europe against the top teams. Barca have Messi who can make something out of nothing to win a game, Bayern have Robben or even Muller who has a knack of scoring important goals at important times. Obviously you have the likes of Ronaldo, Ibrahimovich etc... The difference between these and our players is they do it regularly in Europe. Over the past few years our game changing players haven't really delivered on the big stage. Some of this might be injury related (Aguero last season) but I can't help but think it's all down to mentality. Over the course of 38 games, your big players deliver, but you don't game that many games in the CL.

willy eckerslike said:
aguerooooo said:
on Bluemoon last night you were a happy clapper or a miserable git , I would love to have been content with our performance but I wasn't Although Bayern had the loss of 5-6 players who are deemed their best, surely when the team sheet came though IT would been a good help with the team talk Instead we started as we always do ,like frightened rabbits trapped in head lights On who was poor and who put in a shift ,well that's already been done , so imho it seems or feels like we haven't really started our season yet after the first 4-5 matches we look very much like we did last night, lethargic off the pace and in some cases half arsed and unfit ,infact a million miles where we need to be if we want to be winners this season We badly need the pick me up of a victory on Saturday COME IN NUMBER 42
yep fair enough

A victory on Saturday would be great but I'd prefer one on Sunday :)!

For me the top performers last night were Sagna, Hart and Silva and perhaps Fernandinho. Was very impressed with Sagnas defending during the game.

Disappointing result.

Bayern had Ribery, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Martinez and Thiego all missing from their midfield, yet still dominated large parts of the game.

I think we're best when we control the tempo of the game and have a lot of the ball. I don't see us being a counter attacking team, it simply doesn't suit our players. When you start a team with Silva and Nasri, you should be looking to dominate possession, not counter attack - which seemed to be our gameplan last night.

We almost look a little confused at times in the CL to what our tactics are. In the Premiership it's always the same; high defensive line, dominate possession, small quick passes between the likes of Silva, Nasri and Yaya with 2 attacking full backs supplying the width. I don't think we followed that blueprint much last night. For example, our full backs did absolutely nothing going forward IMO. Compare that to when Kolarov and Zabaleta start - they're a huge part of our team.

The subs didn't help last night. I thought we should have taken Yaya and Nasri off and put on Milner and Kolarov. We'd then go to a 4-4-1-1 with a midfield of Navas-Milner-Fernandinho-Kolarov with Silva behind Dzeko. Aguero on for Dzeko in a straight swap, no change to the system. Confident we would have got a draw with that changes.

Keeping Yaya on was a bit ridiculous. We all know how good Yaya was last season, but he was really poor last night. He could barely run in the second half! Not subbing Yaya also forced Silva out to the left where he's known to be weak defensively. Silva should have been kept in the number 10 role and Yaya should have been subbed.

0-0 would have been a decent result if we had held on. Bayern had a lot of players out, but Zabaleta, Fernando and Jovetic would have been big players for us last night - Fernando especially. With those 3 out, I would have been pretty happy for a draw.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Kidding ourselves.

Bayern were able to keep us at arms length with half a team missing.

Even United gave them a game last season, so let's not try to sugar coat it was the mighty Bayern.

The tactics were poor, the mentality is still to hope for the best, and see what we can get away with.

But for Joe, it could easily have been four or five on another day.

Agree 100%
We need 3 midfielders who first and foremost play a DM role away from home in the CL.
Then we need to break quickly,
We didn't do either.
Nasri and YaYa went missing last night. Very concerned about the performance of both this season to be honest.

Not sure what this says about us but.................. in 7 games against the big 3 we have conceded 5 goals in the final 3 minutes of games. Only in one of these (Barca at home) did the goal not affect the result. Last night and at Barca away we turned a draw into a defeat, and in Madrid we snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory. Probably something to do with mental strength.

Sparkys-Army said:
For me the top performers last night were Sagna, Hart and Silva and perhaps Fernandinho. Was very impressed with Sagnas defending during the game.

You don't realise how important Zabba is until he isn't playing. Whilst Sagna was ok defending, he gave the ball away cheaply on several occasions and didn't know what to do with the ball, just running out of play at other times.

Off on a tangent, we had three Bayern fans, a French couple and four German 'neutrals' sat around us last night in our end.

Danny Hoekman said:
Sparkys-Army said:

You don't realise how important Zabba is until he isn't playing. Whilst Sagna was ok defending, he gave the ball away cheaply on several occasions and didn't know what to do with the ball, just running out of play at other times.

Off on a tangent, we had three Bayern fans, a French couple and four German 'neutrals' sat around us last night in our end.

Had the same the first time we played there, the row behind was full of Bosnians supporting Edin! I think unsold tickets end up with some 'UEFA approved' ticket touts

bayern had 5 or 6 players out , they have a 24 man squad for the champs league , they brought in rafina,benatia ,bernat , alonso , alaba ,and lewandowski , all internationals , they cost bayern well over £50m plus lewandowski on a "free" with an alleged £10m signing on fee , not bad for a "weakened" team. Perhaps some posters should give their head a wobble , and stop spouting shite about bayerns missing players , and look at the positives , we didnt play well , we are one month into the season , and not at full pace yet , and yet we were 4 minutes from getting a point at the home of a very strong team of german champions and world cup winners , these are the facts , not emotive , kneejerk factually incorrect observations .

CityFan94 said:
Disappointing result.

Bayern had Ribery, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Martinez and Thiego all missing from their midfield, yet still dominated large parts of the game.

I think we're best when we control the tempo of the game and have a lot of the ball. I don't see us being a counter attacking team, it simply doesn't suit our players. When you start a team with Silva and Nasri, you should be looking to dominate possession, not counter attack - which seemed to be our gameplan last night.

We almost look a little confused at times in the CL to what our tactics are. In the Premiership it's always the same; high defensive line, dominate possession, small quick passes between the likes of Silva, Nasri and Yaya with 2 attacking full backs supplying the width. I don't think we followed that blueprint much last night. For example, our full backs did absolutely nothing going forward IMO. Compare that to when Kolarov and Zabaleta start - they're a huge part of our team.

The subs didn't help last night. I thought we should have taken Yaya and Nasri off and put on Milner and Kolarov. We'd then go to a 4-4-1-1 with a midfield of Navas-Milner-Fernandinho-Kolarov with Silva behind Dzeko. Aguero on for Dzeko in a straight swap, no change to the system. Confident we would have got a draw with that changes.

Keeping Yaya on was a bit ridiculous. We all know how good Yaya was last season, but he was really poor last night. He could barely run in the second half! Not subbing Yaya also forced Silva out to the left where he's known to be weak defensively. Silva should have been kept in the number 10 role and Yaya should have been subbed.

0-0 would have been a decent result if we had held on. Bayern had a lot of players out, but Zabaleta, Fernando and Jovetic would have been big players for us last night - Fernando especially. With those 3 out, I would have been pretty happy for a draw.

What a great post.

I agree that if we are going to play on the counter attack, Nasri is not really suited to it. While Milner is clearly an inferior player technically to Nasri, he's far more suited to playing on the break. Better defensively, and more pacy and direct when we have the ball.

Before the game I predicted we'd bring Milner on as a D Mid, move Yaya to number 10 and bring Aguero on at about 70 minutes. We did both of those things, and I think they were the right call as we were likely to be able to catch Bayern on the break as the game became stretch towards the end. We'd kept it pretty tight up until that point, so it seemed the game plan was working out perfectly.

However, after 75 - 80 minutes it became clear that Yaya was absolutely out on his feet. Whether that was a lack of fitness or lack of motivation, or both, I am not sure. When it became clear that Yaya was strolling, I thought the obvious choice was to bring him off for Kolarov and put Silva back in the middle. When he brought Navas off, I was screaming at the TV, I couldn't believe it. Navas looked far more fresh, was defending well, and his pace gave us a real threat on the break, while Yaya was a passenger.

After Kolarov came on we had dropped so deep that we just invited all of the pressure on us. We didn't have Navas' or Yaya's threat on the break, so Bayern just ploughed forward knowing they could risk throwing everything at us, and that they would not be vulnerable to the counter.

The goal came because no one was picking up Boateng, in an area that Navas would have been defending. It is anyone's guess who was supposed to be occupying that man / space, but Silva was picking up someone else, Kolarov and Yaya were nowhere to be seen. As it was on our right hand side, I'm not sure Kolarov should have been in that area, so it may well have been Yaya's job.

Whoever's job it was, someone fucked up because he was in 5 yards of space from when the corner was taken. Personally I think that final substitution cost us the game. I think all of the substitutions were pretty much pre-determined before the game. I predicted two of them to my pals before the game, and the third one seemed to make no sense whatsoever in the context of how the game was going, how fresh Navas looked, and how tired Yaya looked.

Perhaps Cousillas bottled bringing Yaya off, perhaps the substitutions were pre determined before the game. Whatever the truth I am certain that bringing Navas off and leaving Yaya on was the wrong call.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.