BBC SPOTY | Team of the Year: CITY | Coach of the Year: GUARDIOLA | World Sport Star: HAALAND

I can’t believe someone has had to be told Katarina Johnson-Thompson is mixed-race.
IMG_2440.jpeg
I don’t have the full list to hand but isn’t one candidate a wheelchair user and another Northern Irish?

Diversity truthfully means all backgrounds and inclusivity of gender, class, age, religion / belief, sexual orientation, ability…

Still, five are white!

Team is presumably between City and the Ryder Cup team.

Of the six:
mouthy keeper of team who came 2nd
retired cricketer
athlete who actually won something major
golfer
retiring jockey
wheelchair tennis player

Dettori is a reasonable shout as he's had a stellar career, Broad too. Johnson-Thompson is probably the leader.
The Ryder Cup team it is then.

And in that year, Jordan Henderson came second in the individual award, presumably for his world class pointing. Meanwhile City win the treble, and none of the English players are worthy of being on the shortlist. Not John Stones, giving a MOTM performance in the CL final and reinventing the CB role (of course Rodri actually got it, because he scored a goal), not Kyle Walker who was a revelation in the run in in the league after showing impressive character to come back from a set back, not Jack Grealish who had the season of his career and is one of the few sports people to actually have a personality these days.

Nah, in a season where one team has done something that has only been done once before (and done it better), football will instead be represented by a rag goalkeeper whose achievements last year include runner up in the FA Cup, runner up in the Women's Super League, and runner up in the World Cup. That's actually quite an impressive list of losses.
His world class pointing. I'll have to get Jordan to do our garden wall. :-)

When I first started watching SPOTY back in the early 70s there was no shortlist from which you could only vote for the people on it. You could vote for whoever you wanted. The BBC used to run a 3 minute clip highlighting the major sporting achievements of the year and play this a few times as a memory aide. None of this telling the public who they could/should vote for like the last few years.

When did they change the rules to include foreigners?

There used to always be a separate overseas award
Must be very recent.
Rachel Blackmore wasn't eligible for it not so long ago although she won the BBC world sports star of the year.

Isn't there an overseas award anymore? If not, then why isn't Erling on the list. His achievements and actually having a personality surely make him a (golden) shoe-in. OK, I forgot it's the BBC so Muppetery is to be expected (and, yes, I know The Muppet Show was on ITV).

There is, although it seems to have changed its name. I found this link:

Biles (gymnastics)
Bonmati (Spanish footballer, player of the tournament at the World Cup)
Djokovic
Haaland
Kolisi (SA rugby union captain)
Verstappen

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.