BBC - ultimate British group poll (National Album Day)

I agree and I love both bands too.

Both bands had a massive impact in their genres - punk and indie.

The Stone Roses album was a turning point in music in the late 80s. I know you can also throw in the Happy Mondays and Inspirals etc but the Roses album brought 'indie' to the charts. I remember being in school the day after the Roses and Mondays had been on Top Of The Pops and it was like the world had changed in Manchester. All of a sudden, it felt like it was the centre of the world!

Quite honestly, nothing at the time sounded like 'Fools Gold' either. 35ish years later it still sounds like it could've been made today. Their debut album is packed with classics which influenced bands and a whole genre afterwards. You could probably argue without them there might not be Britpop.

A lot of attention nowadays is on Oasis but the Roses were FAR more influential. Not just to individual bands, but to a whole genre and era. Just like the Pistols were :)

Summed it up better than me! They deserve their place.

Fascinating how people select 5 groups that vary so much in genre. That's great.

The Beatles
The Clash

then it gets trickier

The Smiths
Roxy Music
The Rolling Stones

A couple of other notable omissions

Slade. Loads of number ones, and one of the most famous Christmas records ever.
Status Quo. A staple of the British music scene for 40 years, with the most appearances on Top of the Pops, and over 100 singles

I'm expecting the "inclusivity brigade" to run out, saying its too male dominated, with very little LGBTQ+ and black artist representation .

I remember about 15 years ago, BBC2 doing an "identikit" best British band series, where you had a best singer, guitarist, drummer etc. Jonathan Ross showed his total lack of musical knowledge for 5 episodes, apart from getting tumescent over David Bowie and Roxy Music.

Anyway, it's Genesis

I'm expecting the "inclusivity brigade" to run out, saying its too male dominated, with very little LGBTQ+ and black artist representation .
But the stupid thing is that there are plenty of actually diverse groups that are not on the list, like The Specials, Massive Attack or The Prodigy, who are better than some of the bands that are.

As for male-dominated, I genuinely can't think of a single British all-female band that isn't a girl band. There are bands with female leads, but the rest of the musicians are almost always entirely male.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.