BBC - ultimate British group poll (National Album Day)

Led Zeppelin
The Jam
The Cure
ELO
The Clash
Looks like I much prefer bands that start with The :):)

Sex Pistols obviously had a much bigger impact culturally and for Music and the Punk scene, but the Stone Roses album influenced alot of great bands to come, notably Oasis,Blur and The Verve.
Without the Sex Pistols there wouldn't have been Oasis or the Roses. Without the Beatles there wouldn't have been the Sex Pistols.

Without the Roses...erm...

I agree and I love both bands too.

Both bands had a massive impact in their genres - punk and indie.

The Stone Roses album was a turning point in music in the late 80s. I know you can also throw in the Happy Mondays and Inspirals etc but the Roses album brought 'indie' to the charts. I remember being in school the day after the Roses and Mondays had been on Top Of The Pops and it was like the world had changed in Manchester. All of a sudden, it felt like it was the centre of the world!

Quite honestly, nothing at the time sounded like 'Fools Gold' either. 35ish years later it still sounds like it could've been made today. Their debut album is packed with classics which influenced bands and a whole genre afterwards. You could probably argue without them there might not be Britpop.

A lot of attention nowadays is on Oasis but the Roses were FAR more influential. Not just to individual bands, but to a whole genre and era. Just like the Pistols were :)
Depeche Mode had been bringing Indie to the charts while the Stone Roses were still in school.

Acid House was the turning point in music in the late 80's and the Stone Roses clung to the coat tails of that.

The most iconic part of Fools Gold is the drum beat which is a rip of from Hot Pants by Bobby Byrd. This break has been sampled millions of times.

The Stone Roses were just another guitar band who were in the right place at the right time. They had one magnificent album and one very good one.

The changes in Manchester had more to do with drugs, acid house, the Hac and New Order. The guitar bands that came after were just a convenient thing for the music press to hang their coats on as they had absolutely no idea what to do with Acud House.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.