Bell, Lee and Summerbee statue | Unveiled (pg19)

Yep, even if Law mishit it and it didn't go in, the Rags still would have gone down.

It's one of life's common misconceptions up there with a tomato is a fruit, a Knighthood etc is forever when it actually expires on death of the recipient, Crystal Palace play where the palace itself once was, Holland is the name of the country when in fact it's a region and the Pyramids of Egypt were constructed with slave labour.

Still, it always makes me snigger whenever it's brought up.
Although.... At the time the pitch invasions (there were 2) occurred Utd were not mathematically down. If we think about the drama of the Aguero day or of other promotion/relegation/title winning drama days it's never over until a whistle is blown at a deciding game. Anything can happen in those final few minutes.

I've interviewed players from that day and read contemporary newspapers to pull out the full story and facts, and what happened was that after the second pitch invasion, the ref took the players off the pitch and they waited in the dressing rooms. Once the ref knew that results elsewhere meant Utd were definitely down then he abandoned the match. He waited. Had there been hope then the rest of the game would've been played seems to be the actual view from that day. It was highly unusual for a result to stand when a game was abandoned with minutes left to play and so the ref seemed to take the sensible approach and wait for Utd's relegation verdict to be known before abandoning it. Had there still been hope for Utd then maybe he would have played the remaining minutes?

So, to summarise: For United there was still hope that relegation could be avoided before Law scored even though results elsewhere were going against them. Before the game Utd were not relegated; at the time of Law's goal Utd's hopes faded (but had still not been extinguished) and then after the game Utd were relegated. It may not have been mathematically the goal that relegated Utd but it was the game where Utd's chances ended. Think of all those last game dramas we've had - that's how it would've felt. Hope fading away and realisation dawning that relegation is happening and your former hero is the one who extinguishes all hope.

Looking forward to having a proper leisurely look at it when the novelty wears off and there's less of a scrum around it.

Manchester City DNA. We will never forget where we come from, NO matter how far we go

My old man (I'm no spring chicken) messaged me saying it's been 46 years to day since King Colin made his his comeback. Apparently was 0-0 at HT then we won 4-0, Tueart hat trick.

My old man (I'm no spring chicken) messaged me saying it's been 46 years to day since King Colin made his his comeback. Apparently was 0-0 at HT then we won 4-0, Tueart hat trick.

Wow that has made me feel old!

I was 12 years old in the Kippax. Apart from a handful of obvious exceptions, it was the greatest ever atmosphere I’ve experienced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.