Bell or Silva?

I always strolled up to Maine Road and felt that no matter who we were playing if CB was in the side we wouldn't lose. I suggested this to Colin when I bumped into him and Tony Book before one of the home games this season. He said, 'We lost too many!' Perhaps we did, but Colin had a presence on the pitch, a controlled swagger without swaggering. He could drive the team, make goals and score goals. If David Silva scored the goals that CB did then it would be bloody difficult choice. I've seen 'em both and I think Silva is the Spanish Puskas, but if I were picking a team, Colin Bell would be my first choice. And I'd still have Bert Trautmann and Dave Ewing in the line!

Just found this 1969 footage of our 4-0 win at West Ham , in which we took the hammers to pieces ...... we had some top players back then , including Colin Bell , and West Ham , even though they had a good side themselves , simply had no answer to them.

Bell is everywhere on this , and so is Lee!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEfxfO9oWz0[/youtube]

dan.j.mcfc said:
Alex the Blue said:
Two entirely different types of player so difficult to compare. King Colin would thrive in today's games especially with all the physio stuff to keep him ultra fit.

Not sure Merlin would do well in King Colin's playing era.

King Colin is called King Colin for a very good reason and he'll never be dethroned.

An honour for me to make my 1,000th post in his name.

I've never seen him play so can't comment too much on his ability etc... but to say he will never be dethroned is maybe a bit presumptuous, maybe he will forever be remembered as "the king" to us City fans, but to the best of my knowledge outside of our fan base, he was never regarded as one of the best in the world, he doesn't seem to crop up in any all time greatest lists I've ever seen. Like I say I've never seen him play but from the view of the wider footballing world and not just us blues there are many players regarded as greats who have/are playing the could have/can potentially "dethrone" in terms of ability.

Colin was effectively 'taken from us' in his pomp, never even a possibility he could recover from that injury in those days. That he played again was the testimony, if you needed it, to his greatness.
Very few players are remembered after having their career ended in such fashion and thus the reason - maybe- that he is'nt named by some as an all time great.
All a bit of fun anyway.
The King by a country mile (covered in under 4 minutes)

blueandy1mac said:
dan.j.mcfc said:
Alex the Blue said:
Two entirely different types of player so difficult to compare. King Colin would thrive in today's games especially with all the physio stuff to keep him ultra fit.

Not sure Merlin would do well in King Colin's playing era.

King Colin is called King Colin for a very good reason and he'll never be dethroned.

An honour for me to make my 1,000th post in his name.

I've never seen him play so can't comment too much on his ability etc... but to say he will never be dethroned is maybe a bit presumptuous, maybe he will forever be remembered as "the king" to us City fans, but to the best of my knowledge outside of our fan base, he was never regarded as one of the best in the world, he doesn't seem to crop up in any all time greatest lists I've ever seen. Like I say I've never seen him play but from the view of the wider footballing world and not just us blues there are many players regarded as greats who have/are playing the could have/can potentially "dethrone" in terms of ability.

Colin was effectively 'taken from us' in his pomp, never even a possibility he could recover from that injury in those days. That he played again was the testimony, if you needed it, to his greatness.
Very few players are remembered after having their career ended in such fashion and thus the reason - maybe- that he is'nt named by some as an all time great.
All a bit of fun anyway.
The King by a country mile (covered in under 4 minutes)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcvKhQfKuUI[/youtube]

black mamba said:
Just found this 1969 footage of our 4-0 win at West Ham , in which we took the hammers to pieces ...... we had some top players back then , including Colin Bell , and West Ham , even though they had a good side themselves , simply had no answer to them.

Bell is everywhere on this , and so is Lee!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEfxfO9oWz0[/youtube]

go to 4 mins, absolutely skins bobby moore (r.i.p) to pieces.

what a player.

from what i've seen in footage (too young), in answer to this o.p, i'd say bell every time.

Colin bell was the player that made me choose to support city as a kid, Silva is doing the same for youngsters nowadays. Hopefully silva can get his consistency back under the new manager, a fantastic footballer.

Silva should not even be mentioned in the same breath
He is , on his day , a world class player - I remember watching him beat Scotland on his own a couple of years back but he's done nothing since the break in November 2011 when Spain played England at Wembley.
I accept he may be tired as players nowadays do a whole lot more travelling than in Colin's day, but if you are that knackered try not popping back to Spain to do promotional work during the business end of the season.

I honestly think that if Colin had put in such a disgraceful 'performance' as silva and our other soldiers put in against Wigan he would have thrown himself off the Wembley arch.

But the truth is , Colin would never have robbed the supporters like City did that day.

Silva is obviously an extremely good player- when he can be arsed- but not fit to lace Colin's boots.

Kevcod said:
Silva should not even be mentioned in the same breath
He is , on his day , a world class player - I remember watching him beat Scotland on his own a couple of years back but he's done nothing since the break in November 2011 when Spain played England at Wembley.
I accept he may be tired as players nowadays do a whole lot more travelling than in Colin's day, but if you are that knackered try not popping back to Spain to do promotional work during the business end of the season.

I honestly think that if Colin had put in such a disgraceful 'performance' as silva and our other soldiers put in against Wigan he would have thrown himself off the Wembley arch.

But the truth is , Colin would never have robbed the supporters like City did that day.

Silva is obviously an extremely good player- when he can be arsed- but not fit to lace Colin's boots.

THIS There will only ever be one King

The King.

He had it all.

Different players though tbf. Hoping to see more from Merlin under The Engineer...

I still think it's shocking that he doesn't have a (popular) song dedicated to him. Very poor but probably a function of him not scoring a lot of goals(?)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.