Benjamin Mendy - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most games I've watched of Mendy he's been relatively poor on the ball in possession & poor defensively. He's had the occasional games when he's been unstoppable going forwards. But in my perspective weighing up pro's/con's he's not hitting enough pro's to warrant a first 11 spot in our current team.

Think your pushing your luck claiming he managed to win a World Cup too - did he play at all?

Fair enough but in the majority of games he's played for the club he's done well. He's prone to lapses, true, and, in my opinion, has a tendency to overestimate his ability, which has led him to position himself poorly and tackle awkwardly, but that will change as he adjusts to England and Guardiola's instruction. Not pushing my luck with the World Cup comment, simply stating a fact. He played 40 minutes and has something that cannot be taken away from him, much like the League medal from last season, which he also won with minimal involvement. :-)

Were he fit, he'd arguably start, and were he fit, we'd probably be ahead on points rather than goals, but I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

So, in the 22 games he's played for us to date(19 wins and 2 draws), you reckon he's not played well in more than 11 of those games?
The man has been unfortunate with injury and probably has an imprudent social media presence, but when fit he's played well. Heavens, he even managed to win a World Cup in the summer.

Defensively looked shaky when he’s played and let’s be honest he played fuck all minutes in the World Cup.

Defensively looked shaky when he’s played and let’s be honest he played fuck all minutes in the World Cup.

As a proportion of the playing time, it was probably on a par with Foden’s game time in last season’s league winning campaign, but we’d never question or belittle that. As for his defensive lapses, I mentioned those in my subsequent post.

67cf18b42dc304aaa0f459be98a6237c--titanic-ship-titanic-sinking.jpg
;p

Fair enough but in the majority of games he's played for the club he's done well. He's prone to lapses, true, and, in my opinion, has a tendency to overestimate his ability, which has led him to position himself poorly and tackle awkwardly, but that will change as he adjusts to England and Guardiola's instruction.
He hasn't "in the majority of games he's played for the club" "done well" either, he's had the odd decent game and that's it.

How can he "adjust to England and Guardiola" if he's never fit ?

He'll be judged as a player, when (if) he finally contributes to the team over a sustained period, so far he's added about as much as Nigel Clough did, in fact in a similar period Clough played not far from twice as many games.

Also its all fine and well saying he's "been unlucky with injury", but the first wasn't "unlucky", it was his own fault, caused by his own poor play, since then he's barely played 3 or 4 games in a row, and 18 months into his City career, he's contributed next to nothing to the team on the pitch, no matter how good he is for "moral", most fans want to judge him on the pitch, not his social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.