Benjamin Mendy - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much really,easily pressed into mistakes,out of position ,not a great defender,put in lots of crosses not directed at anyone or over hit,I am not enamoured with him at all,prefer zinchy
Sorry Kaz, but despite Mendy's faults he is still a better option at LB than Zinchenko. Mendy is 1st choice LB for Pep at present, possibly not next season though.

What he gives us is balance and space for our other players.
He actually along with (I hate to say it) Dave unbalances our squad. When we play down the left there is an overload and everyone needs to shift over. So in the oppositions half we are lined up like so.

Mendy_________Sterling________Kun/Jesus_____________________
_______Silva______________________________Kev__________Mahrez
_________Gundo/Rodri_________Walker_________________________
_________________Laporte_____________Garcia__________________

So Gundogan or Rodri have to be behind Dave as he attacks in case the ball is lost and Walker shift over. I put Laporte and Garcia in there, but earlier in the season it was Dinho and Otamendi.

Last edited:
I think we’d see a lot more promise in him if we had players who could attack a cross. When he first showed up he was feigning a cross and finding targets at the edge of the box and it was causing all kinds of trouble but for some reason that pass just isn’t there anymore.

I think he’s a good attacking player but I’m not sure how it’s gonna work if we keep having tiny strikers and even tiny wingers

I think we’d see a lot more promise in him if we had players who could attack a cross. When he first showed up he was feigning a cross and finding targets at the edge of the box and it was causing all kinds of trouble but for some reason that pass just isn’t there anymore.

I think he’s a good attacking player but I’m not sure how it’s gonna work if we keep having tiny strikers and even tiny wingers
We attack differently than most teams who put in high crosses into the box. We have really only been doing it later in games because we are losing and needing to make something happen when the ball gets knocked down. That's why it's imperative to score first and early.

We usually try to attack using not only the width of the pitch, but depth. Mahrez for example stays deeper a lot instead of high up the pitch. It's to try to draw the defenders out when he receives the ball so there is space in the middle and depth to attack. Then sometimes it's Kev making that run into space to try to put in a low cross for Sterling or Jesus to get behind the defenders to tap it in.

On the left it's a little different because of Dave, but Mendy is supposed to do something similar to Mahrez by staying on the wing and try to find Dave in the middle. If there is space he's suppose to try to get around to be the outlet and put in a cross.

It will be a little different when Phil plays as he looks to play 1, 2's with Gabby and has the added threat of scoring which Dave doesn't really have. Torres can also help if he comes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.