Benjamin Mendy leaves City | Launches “multi-million-pound” claim against club over unpaid wages (p118)

From the Graun

HM Revenue and Customs have sought a bankruptcy order against the France international over a tax debt of nearly £800,000. During a high court hearing over the debt, Louis Doyle KC, representing Mendy, said: “He is embarrassed about the fact that he is not able to discharge it quicker than he is able to. He is saying ‘I want to pay as quickly as I can, I realise that I am in difficulty’.”

In a context where he's bankrupt so has nothing to lose, this makes more sense.

Surprised he found a lawyer willing to take it on, given their chances of getting paid, which suggests he has some probability of success.

Not sure how finances are really what should be embarrassing him, mind.
I saw an article that he dropped the asking price on his £5M Cheshire mansion a few weeks ago, so he is clearly raising funds.

Yeah, they wouldn't do that unless they thought there was a decent prospect of winning, I think.
I agree, the usual MO in cases like this is for the lawyers to negotiate a quick settlement before either side has to spend too money on legal costs. It normally allows for a settlement significantly below the amount claimed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.