Benjamin Mendy leaves City | Launches “multi-million-pound” claim against club over unpaid wages (p118)

Nobody is struggling with it. Nobody has said "I disagree with this, I think he did it."

What some of us have said is that this verdict doesn't automatically mean that the women who accused him were lying.
What we do know with absolute certainty is that 7 women gave evidence against him over 2 separate trials. 2 juries heard ALL the evidence over many weeks and believed him over every single one of them.

He is innocent, in the eyes of the law. That means he isn't going to prison, and he isn't a convicted rapist.

It does not tell us with absolute certainty what happened between him and those women.

It may be, as some seem desperate to believe, that some or all of them falsely accused him for personal gain.

It may also be that they were all totally genuine accusations for which the prosecution failed to provide compelling enough evidence.

We can't know what happened. We can't know what Mendy or his accusers knew or felt at any given time, or who is telling the truth. This is why rape cases are so hard to prove.

We all know guilty people go free, and innocent people go down. It's rare, but it happens. Not trying to cast doubt on this verdict - but there is quite obviously a difference between conviction and guilt.
Two trials, two juries who will have taken the evidence very seriously and will have been comprised of both genders - the lad is innocent in the eyes of the law, and innocent as far as I'm concerned. We have seen well-known Manchester actors accused of similar things and they were able to return to respectability. I believe Mendy deserves the same courtesy under the system we have. I cast no aspersions on the complainants, but sometimes these things can snowball and innocent people can end up in nightmarish situations - like with the Satanic panic case in Langley some years back. I hope he can rebuild his career overseas, marry and settle down, as his old lifestyle clearly did him absolutely no favours.

Two trials, two juries who will have taken the evidence very seriously and will have been comprised of both genders - the lad is innocent in the eyes of the law, and innocent as far as I'm concerned. We have seen well-known Manchester actors accused of similar things and they were able to return to respectability. I believe Mendy deserves the same courtesy under the system we have. I cast no aspersions on the complainants, but sometimes these things can snowball and innocent people can end up in nightmarish situations - like with the Satanic panic case in Langley some years back. I hope he can rebuild his career overseas, marry and settle down, as his old lifestyle clearly did him absolutely no favours.

100% correct

What we do know with absolute certainty is that 7 women gave evidence against him over 2 separate trials. 2 juries heard ALL the evidence over many weeks and believed him over every single one of them.
That's not how it works. We can't know how either jury came to their decisions, but in order to find him not guilty (or on two counts during the first trial, not agree on any verdict at all) they only had to find reasonable doubt.

It is absolutely possible to believe an accusers account to be credible and still find reasonable doubt. Jurors do it all the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.