Benjamin Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the news from last night was basically that City were confident enough to schedule a medical, because they were confident that within 3-4 days (I believe Ric said on Thurs or Friday the medical would be Tuesday) they could agree a fee with Monaco but didn't and had to cancel the medical... Not good news imo esp because this has been "close" for weeks. Obviously someone's confidence was misplaced...and here we are two days later from that scheduled medical and still haven't agreed a fee... Hopefully today is the day!

I'm still convinced it was yesterday.

The problem doesn't just lie with a single transfer though. Whether it is true or not, almost every single one of our major transfers that plays out in the public domain, ends with the media reporting that we have ended up paying what the selling club wanted. Its difficult for us to play hardball in any negotiation, when the perception is that we will cave and pay what they want in the end. Its a tough situation, I have read comments this week from Chelsea fans along the lines of "City want a player, they pay the money and get the job done" whereas their perception of their own transfer dealings, is that they try to play hardball and it ends up costing them the player. When push comes to shove, I think I would rather overpay and get the player.

If we overpay for a player whilst other deals are ongoing without a fee agreed, then it's likely every deal becomes more expensive, possibly to a point where it becomes too much even including overpaying. We have overpaid for Walker. He's a fullback.

It is therefore imo, possible, that some deals would be preferably not announced until the others are done. But in reality it's not always feasible to do it that way.

Looks like the hitch here might be because we 'just paid' more for Walker.

And why wouldn't you do that, if you were the seller ? "You just paid more for him, & this lad's better, surely an extra 5 mil in addons won't be a problem for you ?"

So we go 'ok' & then the next guy goes up another 5 or 10, etc etc.

And then there's Sanchez. His value goes up as well.

Prefer it this way, having got Walker in, rather than having to negotiate with Levy after paying big money for Mendy though.
It's a valid point, but Walker MAY be deemed a better player, and he has the advantage of being English, which has a premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.