Benjamin Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be right but the footprint of this one looks to be similar to the on-off, today-no its tomorrow now, by Friday - no its after the weekend now we had with Alves. Maybe some of our other more protracted successes would have been less protracted if we had played a bit more hardball? Pep's comment yesterday about the transfer window being too long was clearly all about this. If you only got 4 weeks of a window it would give selling clubs less time to play games with us.
But all that Alves stuff - dates shifting etc. - was probably a scenario dreamt up on a Bluemoon thread. For all we REALLY know there might have been a gentlemen's agreement that he could enjoy his holiday and wedding and then come over and sign afterwards - and he reneged.

All these dates that we discuss on here might just have been of our own imagination.

We have one of the most influential people in the game running our transfers. I would trust that he is likely to know how best to handle these matters and trust their judgement rather than just find ways to fret and criticise the club just because of rumours emerging on BM - which have often resulted from fans reading the tea leaves of Mendy's mysterious IG postings etc.

Last edited:
Not caught up on thread, so apologies if been recently mentioned, but I'm firmly in the camp that Monaco have upped the price based on feeling that we had their pants down on getting Bernardo on the relative cheap.

We didn't pull their pants down on Bernardo Silva though, £43m + add ons is a more than good fee for a player they had a pre-existing agreement to sell after he stayed last summer.

The reason Mendy is going to be more expensive is because they aren't done with him, they think he should stay another year or 2 after buying him in 2016. This is their "we don't want to sell" price.

You get to a point in a negotiation where you know if the buyer/seller is serious about the valuation they place on the item. At this point you make your decision as to how firm you want to make your stand and capitulate or move on. Once that point has been reached the parties can test each others resolve but that doesn't take too long unless one of the parties has their own reasons to delay an agreement.

So, for what anyone on here knows, we may not yet at the point where we 'know' how serious the seller is about the evaluation they have placed on the player and to what extent they will move . So it could/should be entirely the right thing to do to continue to negotiate to get the best price for the club, rather than just roll over and have our bellies tickled

I think I've worked out what's going on and why we haven't signed Mendy yet. It is, of course, all Txiki's fault. Why on earth he didn't make Monaco a "take it or leave it" offer of the "asking price" which would include all the "add ons" Monaco could want to "get the deal over the line". By "playing hardball" in this way and telling them straight that they either accepted or they "could do one "we'd have had Mendy "in the bag" last May, especially if he'd gone on strike instead of his holidays "to force the move". That's how you win friends and influence people in football. You've just got to have the details at your fingertips. Come on Txiki, get yer 'ed in the game.

Should have agreed a fee with Monaco before signing Walker for big money.
Anyway, it looks like the delay now is mostly because the clubs are haggling over around £5m. Multiple reports say that Monaco want £45m whilst City don't want to pay more than £40m. The situation with Neymar and Mbappe doesn't help either. I think City will want to know what happens on those fronts before spending significant sum of money on another fullback, just in case part of those funds are required elsewhere. They'll probably also wait until Danilo has been announced because that may improve their negotiating position. I don't see Mendy being done this week.

Julian Laurens was saying on ESPN last night that Monaco don't want to sell Mendy and Lemar this summer as they are Mbappe's closest mates in the Monaco camp.

If one or both get sold they fear Mbappe will ask for a move.

Something like that anyway.

Julian Laurens was saying on ESPN last night that Monaco don't want to sell Mendy and Lemar this summer as they are Mbappe's closest mates in the Monaco camp.

If one or both get sold they fear Mbappe will ask for a move.

Something like that anyway.

They said that at the start of the summer too i think. then said if a big enough offer came in for mendy he can go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.