Bernard Halford

Reading this thread I briefly mistook Frank Horrocks for the guy with sort of a hangdog look who did the specials with Cheesy but then remembered he was called Howard I think. Anyone remember him ?

@BringBackSwales
I'm pretty sure I was at the supporters club meeting when the vote was taken to ban the London branch.
Only one delegate from each branch could vote so I wasn't involved in the actual vote but I was against it and spoke against it. In fact yes I was there because I just remembered that everyone unable to vote had to leave the room while the voting took place!
I maybe wrong but think Kevin Cummins had something to do with the newsletter?
I recall there was an olive branch not to ban them if the officials from the London branch stood down and were replaced by new officials, presumably ones prepared to toe the line...... this was rejected and the ban took place.
I didn't rejoin the supporters club after that and a few years later when writing for the fanzine Blue Print, I produced my best headline writing a scathing piece about the supporters club under the title "The Little (Closed) Shop Of Horrocks"
That was a great piece Phil. I was Chairman of the Chadderton Branch at the time and did a follow up to your piece in the next publication, centred on the vote regarding Swales and then the resignations of officials and the formation of The ‘Independent Supporters Association’ (ISA), of which I was elected first Chairman.

Utterly ridiculous looking back. The internet wasn't widely used back then but surely a better way could have been found. I laugh when fans complain that the club doesn't listen to them now. Incidents like this are a stark reminder they didn't really give a fuck about us back then either. Remember, in those days we were on the bones of our arse and they desperately needed our support, but we were still treated with contempt.
Tickets were also available over the phone, that's how we got ours. I remember it well, I was at work on my phone in a queue whilst my mate was at home on his. After a long wait we managed to get 4.

Tickets were also available over the phone, that's how we got ours. I remember it well, I was at work on my phone in a queue whilst my mate was at home on his. After a long wait we managed to get 4.

Trust me I phoned constantly over and over and just got the engaged tone. I was working in the back office on the ship at the time and had complete access to the outside line. Everyday I did this from when the office opened to when it shut. I had it on speakerphone while I worked. After being cut off I immediately redialed. I never got anywhere near a queue. Did anybody else here buy tickets over the phone???

Trust me I phoned constantly over and over and just got the engaged tone. I was working in the back office on the ship at the time and had complete access to the outside line. Everyday I did this from when the office opened to when it shut. I had it on speakerphone while I worked. After being cut off I immediately redialed. I never got anywhere near a queue. Did anybody else here buy tickets over the phone???
Yeah it could have been a case of continually dialling and not a queue. We definitely got them by phone in the end, no doubt by pure luck.
They went on sale for one weekday morning and quickly sold out obv, I couldn't get out of work to go and queue.

Last edited:
@Scaring Europe to Death
Maybe @Gary James can help.
The Hillsborough disaster was only a few weeks before the Bournemouth game but I seem to recall instantly capacities of large terraces were cut. That's why I think the capacity went from 52 to 48 in between the two games.
Happy to be corrected.
I was confusing the Taylor Report (Hillsborough) with the Poppelwell Inquiry which had followed the Bradford Fire
Either way, I agree.that the Maine Road Capacity had been significantly reduced by the Bournemouth game,. particularly as the Liverpool Cup defeat had been a sellout the previous season yet nowhere near.52,000

Gillingham - average gate around 6000 - allowed season ticket.hokders to buy up to 10 tickets each and anyone with a Kent postcode could buy a ticket.
Tickets went on open sale at Gillingham. I drove round the M25 and paid cash for mine from their ticket office. No queues, no questions and seemingly as many as you reasonably wanted.

I was sat in the Gillingham end so no-one left early. What made it bizarre was how many of there fans had brought a flask and sandwiches for a family day out? However there were quite a lot of City fans like me scattered around the away end and we were acknowledged by the players during the celebrations after the presentations.

I was in the Maine Stand, hundreds without a seat, sat and stood on the steps...how did that happen ?
Lots also spilled over the perimiter wall of the kippax into the area between the wall and blue railing fence. Anyone remember when and why the front of the Kippax was later fenced in?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.