Bernardo Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't play in the middle because we don't have other wingers. Pep also wants to make Gundogan-Kevin a midfield pairing that works (when Silva is out) whether that combo will be effective or click in the long hall is up in the air still.

Alternatives are play Diaz LW and Sterling RW, Bernardo in the middle, then drop one of Kevin and Gundogan. OR
Play Kevin LW, Sterling RW, to get Bernardo in the middle. Would need to play in such a way that Kevin has license to come inside regularly with the fullback (Danilo) stretching the pitch.

This

Diaz_______Sergio_______Sterling

_____Kevin______Bernardo

He's not been here 5 mins, barely played with the same players rwice, all things considered he is doing great. Merlin's first season only gave glimpses of what was to come. Skilful, versatile and the right temperament , doesnt need to be a greyhound as well ffs

If you were to ask me Bernatdo should play left, Sterling on the right. But there must be some reason he doesnt and not being clever isnt one of them because playing wingers on their right side is usually Peps default.
Sterling right is fine.

As has been pointed out, B. Silva left winger is a non-starter. B. Silva is totally left-footed and lacks pace. He cannot beat opponents to the touch line and swing in crosses. And if he cuts inside, on the left, he'll need to use his right foot to cross/shoot, which isn't going to happen with any sort of effectiveness.

Agreed - but Mendy's injury has screwed up everything.

We function far better with pacy wingers on each side. B. Silva is far better used centrally/roaming.

But this season, we're kind of stuck.

It's fine when we had Sane, that was fine. But now, there's no width on the left regardless so we might as well accept that and compromise and maybe go back to 3-5-2 and just tell Zinchenko to hug the line as LWB, allow Bernardo to come inside and use those strengths and accept the left-side will be weak but with 4 proper CBs it makes more sense to play the stars we have left in a formation that will suit them, at the moment we are hindering Raz and Bernardo and hurting our offensive threat, whereas Zinchenko at LWB over him or Danilo at LB is a small "mercy" imo.

It's fine when we had Sane, that was fine. But now, there's no width on the left regardless so we might as well accept that and compromise and maybe go back to 3-5-2 and just tell Zinchenko to hug the line as LWB, allow Bernardo to come inside and use those strengths and accept the left-side will be weak but with 4 proper CBs it makes more sense to play the stars we have left in a formation that will suit them, at the moment we are hindering Raz and Bernardo and hurting our offensive threat, whereas Zinchenko at LWB over him or Danilo at LB is a small "mercy" imo.
That could work. Maybe Pep will try this.

continually sticking him out on the right wing despite it being clear to everyone it's not working very well. Needs to find a clever tweak to get Bernardo inside to make it work.
I think the 'tweak' is obvious - bench Aguero, play 3 interchanging attackers up front, worked fine vs Cardiff. But it's impossible until one of Sane/Jesus is back.

Personally, I'm amazed by the problems Bernardo is experiencing. I think the most obvious one is his lightness and inability to withstand physical pressure whilst shielding the ball. Fix this issue, and he'll start to glide through defences like Iniesta. Not sure if it's fixable though, we'll see in a year.

I didn't think it possible for someone to be more one footed than the likes of Kolarov or Dave but Bernardo is on his own in that regard.

Nigh on ridiculous and hugely frustrating.

I think the 'tweak' is obvious - bench Aguero, play 3 interchanging attackers up front, worked fine vs Cardiff. But it's impossible until one of Sane/Jesus is back.

Personally, I'm amazed by the problems Bernardo is experiencing. I think the most obvious one is his lightness and inability to withstand physical pressure whilst shielding the ball. Fix this issue, and he'll start to glide through defences like Iniesta. Not sure if it's fixable though, we'll see in a year.
He keeps being stuck on the wing - and in our system, that generally means hugging the touch line to draw defenders out.

In this position, about the only thing he can do is loop in a cross for a header (not going to beat his man to the touch-line for a driven cross - and even if he managed that, his right-footed cross wouldn't be a thing of beauty).

And even so, he's done just that - several looping balls over a defender and right on a dime to one of our players.
===
I think he's adjusted mostly to the physicality/referring of the P/L; next year, he'll hopefully play centrally and show us just how great he is :-)

Outside of ball retention he seemingly adds very little on that right wing.

Be interesting to see what we do with him next season as it seems highly unlikely he'll be keeping the RW position once Sane is back. Seems ideal for the Silva/De Bruyne/Gundogan role but how he gets enough game time in that position is beyond me.

I thought he was great today,extremely industrious,strong on the ball and technically brilliant.

Yes he's primarily a number 10,but he is doing a fine job out wide in the absence of Sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.