Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of people excusing Bernando is a bit daft. Nothing to say what he did was intentionally racist at all, but he is just stupid and should have apologised.

Publishing that joke to the whole world legitimises any black child in Iberia to be called the same, and they get it hard enough as it is based on the booing of black players like it was in England 40 years ago.

Utter bullshit. How do you know he's stupid?

my workmate who I get along with really well even with a 40yr difference between us ! he is 19 has a shaggy beard and hair looks like shaggy from scooby-doo, so I posted a picture of shaggy from scooby-doo on our whattsapp page saying happy birthday matey ……..I am a racist ?

Scoobydooist - need to go on an education course.

I don't get why there's an issue with what I said.

If said Black people don't mind that there's a character that's deemed as a 'spear chucker' (regardless of it's just his face shown) that is held publicly about a friend, then that's on them.

I haven't witnessed such a statement, so I'm sure you'll throw some quotes my way.

Thanks.
You're very good at not answering questions and deflection bud, perhaps you really do need to step away from the keyboard.

Thanks.

Can someone explain exactly what offence was taken?

I fail to see how using a public legal symbolic representation of a Portuguese sweet manufacturer in a jovial fashion with your mate is offensive.

Mendy is a person of colour, so is the illustrated character used. Is the thrust of the comparison about someone who eats a lot of sweets and is carrying a bit of timber... that's how I'd read it... you know the kind of thing mates do to each other when having a laugh and taking the piss.

In fact if this was something people were not allowed or encouraged to happen, that is what I'd consider as being racist - deprivision based on skin tone.

Last edited:
Can someone explain exactly what offence was taken?

I fail to see how using a public legal symbolic representation of a Portuguese sweet manufacturer in a jovial fashion with your mate is offensive.

Mendy is a person of colour, so is the illustrated character used. Is the thrust of the comparison about someone who eats a lot of sweets and is carrying a bit of timber... that's how I'd read it... you know the kind of thing mates do to each other when having a laugh and taking the piss.

In fact if this was something people were not allowed or encouraged to happen, that is what I'd consider as being racist - deprivision based on skin tone.

This is actually a very complex situation with all sorts of layers if you really want to dig into it.

The sweet brand logo, which I think they have stopped using, is the big problem as far as I can see because it is controversial and you simply would not be able to use it in the UK. Some view it as deeming to Africans and potentially treating them as subhuman.

Comparing anyone of any ethnicity to an acceptable cartoon image (whatever that is) of the same ethnicity really should not be a racist event but I suspect if a white person does that with someone of another ethnicity there would be a host of people that would condemn the act. If I am correct, that in itself isn't right but it's the world we live in and you need to be aware of that. The problem here is where do you draw the line?

Been watching this debate develop.... I don’t think City have handled this particularly well but if there is so much offence caused by this image why is it Bernardo in the firing line and not the manufacturer of the sweets concerned?

watched the advert for the chocolate posted earlier in thread and was genuinely shocked, the slavery connotations were there for all to see, it seemed quite an old advert so assume nothing like that is around to see these days. the fact that they still use this character to promote the product should be challenged by those who find bernardo's tweet offensive.

bernardo was totally wrong to air the comparison publically and if education is bernardo's path then damn right the company who promote this character should be educated as well

This is actually a very complex situation with all sorts of layers if you really want to dig into it.

The sweet brand logo, which I think they have stopped using, is the big problem as far as I can see because it is controversial and you simply would not be able to use it in the UK. Some view it as deeming to Africans and potentially treating them as subhuman.

Comparing anyone of any ethnicity to an acceptable cartoon image (whatever that is) of the same ethnicity really should not be a racist event but I suspect if a white person does that with someone of another ethnicity there would be a host of people that would condemn the act. If I am correct, that in itself isn't right but it's the world we live in and you need to be aware of that. The problem here is where do you draw the line?

think you need to look at their website mate

http://www.conguitos.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.