Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to answer you if you keep shouting,i can read

If you read it, Karen, I expressed that the response wasn't directly to you, but the audience reading it, as I didn't know where your current mindset was.

The highlighted part was a repeated post that, ironically, was ignored a second time, so certain posters could keep to their convenient narrative.

It's a joke.

What black cartoon character would have been acceptable for Silva to compare Mendy to?

Or are black people and cartoons simply too controversial to draw comparisons with?

There isn't any sense to the outrage, none at all it's inconsistent and even the outraged have to fabricate why they are outraged and why something has to be done about it. It doesn't even matter if Mendy was offended because his opinion doesn't matter, if you believe that this is a nothing incident then the professionally offended will pontificate about just how you're not intelligent enough to think about the wider societal implications.

This is not me going full dipper and wearing a t shirt supporting a racist as bernie is NOT racist but can we rally around him now,i imagine he is quite distraught being labelled a racist,we might not see the smiley cheeky kid again,i'm disappointed in the kicking some blues have given him as well as the whole of the media,time to move on

What black cartoon character would have been acceptable for Silva to compare Mendy to?
I dunno, something modern (I'm sure there's fookin' loads of there) that's not a 'spear chucker'?

"Or are black people and cartoons simply too controversial to draw comparisons with?

No, as I said, there's lots of modern depictions of characters not steeped in overt stereotype.

You could darken the tone of 'Huey' or 'Riley' from 'Boondocks' and edit their hair to be bald and it would be 'acceptable' and meaningful as standing out from the crowd.

That's just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn’t saying it was right, I was just making the point that some societies lag behind slightly and still have some distasteful imagery - similar to what we saw here 20 years ago. I think there’s a genuine issue - which is not easy to resolve where cartoons / caricatures depict different races - it’s very easy to stereotype and create offence. Someone mentioned Tintin earlier - and that’s a good example. Herge depicted lots of different races in those books - Tintin in the Congo caused (and causes) huge offence but many of the other books stereotype other races just as much... for example the Chinese.

you just need to watch the tv advert mate, its a shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.