Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a black man, I get this sort of joke often - "smile so we can see you" if we're in a light deficient space. I understand that friends can have an understanding amongst themselves and have risky banter in their inner circles, but once you post that nonsense publicly, people who look like Benjamin Mendy will take offence, and that is completely with their rights.

If someone from my office calls his black mate something racially insensitive, and I overhear it, I'm well within my rights to be offended by it, even if the black friend in question didn't mind.

You see that. Irrespective of your race, religious persuasions, sexuality etc...that statement right there is a bigger ill on society than anything Bernardo Silva did. It’s bullshit, and pisses me off, but so effing what. Deal with it, just like I’ll have to deal with people like you who feel being offended is somehow a right.

As a black man, I get this sort of joke often - "smile so we can see you" if we're in a light deficient space. I understand that friends can have an understanding amongst themselves and have risky banter in their inner circles, but once you post that nonsense publicly, people who look like Benjamin Mendy will take offence, and that is completely with their rights.

If someone from my office calls his black mate something racially insensitive, and I overhear it, I'm well within my rights to be offended by it, even if the black friend in question didn't mind.
What happens when you get offended? Curiosity, because I don’t think I’ve ever been offended

Your not a black man,your a bald italian

You see that. Irrespective of your race, religious persuasions, sexuality etc...that statement right there is a bigger ill on society than anything Bernardo Silva did. It’s bullshit, and pisses me off, but so effing what. Deal with it, just like I’ll have to deal with people like you who feel being offended is somehow a right.

Being offended is just a human reaction. If you're asking me to be okay with people using racially abusive or insensitive language in my presence, just because you want to be able to racially abuse people in peace then I'm sorry disappoint you.

Last edited:
What happens when you get offended? Curiosity, because I don’t think I’ve ever been offended

That depends on the situation. In the above scenario, I'd probably go directly to that person and let him know what I thought.

No problemas
Is that the cultural appropriation of language? ;-)

See how ridiculous it has become?! In America, CORN ROWS on a white person is seen as “cultural appropriation,” as are many other things. I’m confused! Do I “stay in my lane” or do I “broaden my mind and my horizons” by accepting and embracing the multiculturalism that is America???

Didn’t say anything like you are implying.

I was going off the BBC report, which was what was linked. I STILL have no idea what was said or done, but, as I said, for the managers to contemplate removing the players it must have been bad.

I’m uncomfortable using other people’s definitions for subjective terms, that’s all. I know what terms like genocide mean, suicide mean, and the like. I have no idea what constitutes “racial abuse” to some of the people in this hypersensitive society in which we live, so I will choose to make my own decisions from the facts.....if that’s alright with you, of course?!

It could be right or not, I couldn't change it, but still think there is absolutely no need to explain you or anyone anything more than it was said. Everything that was reported is enough to understand that serious stuff happened, the rest is for court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.