Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit confused here. Is it acceptable to post it or not (whether it's on Twitter, WhatsApp or any other social media app)?
The difference between Twitter and Whatsapp is relevant though, because one's public and one isn't. One's a private joke between friends and the other is a public joke in front of an audience. And when telling a joke in public, then the wider social context is important. If instead of a Tweet, the joke had been sent on Whatsapp and then screen grabbed without Bernardo's knowledge, then I'd have far more sympathy for him, because whether the joke is offensive would be based entirely on the relationship that he and Mendy have.

I don’t have the full details but heard the lad being interviewed. He said he had witnessed racism before but nothing like that. Also said he had been close to tears. That’s sufficient for me.
I was just going off the BBC News report in the link.

As I said, it must have been bad, but I guess “racial abuse” is now a simple blanket statement for “Believe us, it was racist and it was bad!” and I’m not good with that. I will judge for myself, because too many people have a hair trigger on faux outrage.

As a black man, I get this sort of joke often - "smile so we can see you" if we're in a light deficient space. I understand that friends can have an understanding amongst themselves and have risky banter in their inner circles, but once you post that nonsense publicly, people who look like Benjamin Mendy will take offence, and that is completely with their rights.

If someone from my office calls his black mate something racially insensitive, and I overhear it, I'm well within my rights to be offended by it, even if the black friend in question didn't mind.

As a black man, I get this sort of joke often - "smile so we can see you" if we're in a light deficient space. I understand that friends can have an understanding amongst themselves and have risky banter in their inner circles, but once you post that nonsense publicly, people who look like Benjamin Mendy will take offence.

If someone from my office calls his black mate the N word, and I overhear it, I'm well within my rights to be offended by it, even the black friend in question didn't mind.

Agree with this. Bernardo should accept it was wrong (even if not ill-intended), take sensitivity training (no bad thing that) and move on.

Rubbish. There is absolutely no need to write what exactly they were doing. They and million other papers wrote that he was racially abused, nobody from either team that were there challenged that, even players from home team cnfronted their fans, so why the fuck they need to write what exactly happened? To give idea to some other **** to repeat it? Or it is about fake news and lamestream media, snowflakes and that stuff?
Didn’t say anything like you are implying.

I was going off the BBC report, which was what was linked. I STILL have no idea what was said or done, but, as I said, for the managers to contemplate removing the players it must have been bad.

I’m uncomfortable using other people’s definitions for subjective terms, that’s all. I know what terms like genocide mean, suicide mean, and the like. I have no idea what constitutes “racial abuse” to some of the people in this hypersensitive society in which we live, so I will choose to make my own decisions from the facts.....if that’s alright with you, of course?!

FA:

Bernie tweets something - Investigate!!!!

Dippers hack another clubs scouting system - Nothing to see here.

Agree with this. Bernardo should accept it was wrong (even if not ill-intended), take sensitivity training (no bad thing that) and move on.

Bernardo Silva has done nothing thus far in his life to suggest he meant it maliciously, so I agree, an acknowledgement of his error would be sufficient for us to put this one to bed and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.