Bernardo Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know living in Asia I see loads of City shirts , especially in the last 5 years, we are becoming very popular here.

But I see very few Grealish shirts, lots of KDB and since signing Haaland shirts are everywhere.

He could be incredibly marketable, but he has to do it on the pitch first and foremost, he has to become a England regular and he has to turn up at the World Cup and boss it.

I think the club want players that are marketable worldwide , not just the UK.

Marketing is hugely important but not for one second do I believe the club bought him for that reason.

Appreciate your response mate, and agree with your last statement about targeting global marketing 100%. However...

Please do not take this as disrespect, as perhaps you misunderstood me as notice, perhaps unintentionally a bit of a straw man hint here:

I think the club want players that are marketable worldwide , not just the UK.

I never suggested, nor would I ever suggest City ONLY care about, or care MORE about marketing in the UK/England and therefore globally as evidenced by signing Grealish.

This is what I wrote last, key details bold and more key underlined:

I listed some reasons why Grealish' being English makes him particularly valuable to a club like City one being due to perceived negatives/media coverage in the UK/England in seeking to change that.

Also, hard to compare Grealish shirt sales after 1 season that was disappointing to KDB around the peak of his performance level. Signing Grealish is an investment over time where more years are needed to gain the appopriate data to compare.

However, what we can compare somewhat more closely, yet not without flaws I can list, is who is more readily marketable when they arrived at City.

• KDB was the "£55m Flop" that many in the UK questioned even though was Bundesliga POY, after 1 season, but everyone remembers his time at Chelsea.

• Grealish was already a star in England due the Euros and closer PL watchers who don't just check the top 6.

• Grealish was LESS known/marketable globally...

• KDB, in all truth, practically didn't even exist compared to Grealish, in marketing readiness, when we signed him.

• KDB has gone under the radar to more casual/average fans globally really until the last 2 seasons.

I was in the Phillipines summer 2019 and met a fantastic Spainiard bloke whilst on a long day trip who was from Madrid but was actually a massive Barca fan. We talked football for a while and it was great fun.

Yet...this Barca fan, who wasn't a football dummy didn't know who KDB was, nor how good he was.

That says it all to me. Was KDB not a World Class level player in 2019? The club is "Bigger" now, yes, but KDB doesn't have the same more superficial attributes that attracts casual fans that connects to marketability.

If Grealish was at KDB levels he'd sell far more shirts. I'd have no problem putting money on that wager, and I love KDB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.