Bert Trautmann

oakiecokie said:
Is there anyone on here who actually remembers when he joined us and the stick he got.
Undetstand that some of our Jewish fans refused to attend if he signed.
Any truth in that or just hype at the time ??

Well his autobiography talks about it with some depth so can't see it being anything but the truth.

Some of the lads I was with got pics with him, will post if I can get them emailed to me but know some are still in Benidorm.

Met Bert last year at the Etihad, had a decent length chat with him, remember going to his testimonial in 1964 as if it was yesterday, very moving, especially when he came over the tannoy at the end of the game and thanked the fans for their loyal support.

City legend, but he used to play in some crap City sides, it wasn't all roses:-)

Shook hands with him and got some pictures of him sat on bench outside ground was the lady he was with his missus?

I once saw him at Maine Road. I recognised him, but couldn't figure out who he was at first.

Then it dawned on me it was Bert. I went and asked for his autograph, but I was so dumbstruck, I couldn't think of anything to say.

Apart from 'Thank you', of course.

foley87 said:
I thought city fans were trying to hijack a car at first, then realised Bert was getting back into his car after the game.

city legend

Agreed. We've had some awesome goalkeepers in the past. He was certainly one of them and obviously Frank Swift.

Joe Corrigan has always been my fave but Joe Hart is gaining respect rapidly.

He lives quite close to Villareal. I'm glad he got to watch us again and was looking strong himself. He turned 88 a fortnight ago and looks like he can go on for a little while yet

Vienna_70 said:
I once saw him at Maine Road. I recognised him, but couldn't figure out who he was at first.

Then it dawned on me it was Bert. I went and asked for his autograph, but I was so dumbstruck, I couldn't think of anything to say.

Apart from 'Thank you', of course.

I've never met him but I'd love to read a book about his story.

-- Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 pm --

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Met Bert last year at the Etihad, had a decent length chat with him, remember going to his testimonial in 1964 as if it was yesterday, very moving, especially when he came over the tannoy at the end of the game and thanked the fans for their loyal support.

City legend, but he used to play in some crap City sides, it wasn't all roses:-)

A real Joe Corrigan then ;)

babyape said:
Proper Legend...

‘It was an intense pain, like an explosion, and I nearly fell unconscious. To tell you the truth, I can’t remember anything of those last 16 minutes. I played by instinct really. I could only see silhouettes. It was like walking around in fog and trying to find my way.’

And he was still getting involved...

Bernd (or Bert as everyone in England knows him) was a wartime Green devil (German para) so he was a fairly tough bloke.

-- Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:20 pm --

BillyMC said:
Someone said he lives in Valencia?

He certainly lives in Spain, has done for a few years now. You may all be interested to know that whenever he is interviewed on German tv and I've seen him a few times over the years, he always speaks very fondly of City and the British people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.